So please join me in welcoming Lauren Kelly today as our Guest Blogger!
Chicken Sausage & Vegetable Frittata
Adapted from Clean Eating Magazine
- 1 organic mild Italian chicken sausage package
- 1 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced grape tomatoes
- Handful mushrooms, chopped
- 8 egg whites
- 1/8 tsp dry mustard
- Garlic powder, sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 1-oz slice whole-wheat bread, crust removed and discarded, cut into 1/2-inch cubes, optional
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese of your choice
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Remove casings from sausages and crumble filling into a large oven-safe nonstick pan on medium heat; cook, stirring occasionally. After about 5 to 7 minutes, when sausage is golden brown in color and almost cooked through, add bell pepper, tomatoes and mushrooms. Continue to sauté until mushrooms begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat as low as possible (or remove from stove if using a gas range). In a medium bowl, beat egg whites with mustard, garlic powder, salt and black pepper using a whisk or handheld mixer. (Don't overdo it and make a meringue; simply incorporate flavors with eggs and lighten them up a bit.)
- Distribute bread evenly over sausage-mushroom mixture, if desired. Then pour egg white mixture evenly over top. Increase heat to medium-low or medium (return pan to heat, if removed). Sprinkle cheese over top. Once egg whites start to set and turn opaque, transfer pan to oven.
- Bake until cheese browns and bubbles, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer to a plate to slice and serve.
This frittata has 2 servings. One serving only has 232 calories, 6 grams of total fat, 2 grams of fiber and 28 grams of protein. Healthy AND delicious! ENJOY!