Remember when I did a photo retake of one of my favorite recipes for Bruschetta last month? In that post, I also mentioned how bruschetta can be used for other dishes other than to top toasted bread as an appetizer. One of those suggestions was to mix it with pasta; which is what I did with the leftovers from my last batch. This Mediterranean inspired meal has so many wonderful flavors and the chick peas just add another dimension of texture to the dish; not to mention added protein! It is also a quick meal to throw together during a busy weeknight.
Whole Grain Spaghetti with Bruschetta and Chick Peas1 lb. Spaghetti (I used Barilla Plus)
2 c. Prepared Bruschetta
15oz. Can Chick Peas, rinsed and drained
1/2 c. Pecorino Romano Cheese, shredded
Kosher Salt, to taste
Fresh Ground Black Pepper, to taste
1. Prepare pasta according to package instructions. Drain water reserving 1 cup to use in the pasta.
2. Add the bruschetta and chick peas to the pot and allow to heat through for about 5 minutes.
3. Add the pasta, pasta water and cheese; mix well and season with salt and pepper. Serves 6.
*Nutritional Information per Serving: Calories 441, Carbs 58.9g, Fat 14.2g, Protein 20.4g, Fiber 8.1g, Sugar 5.7g
*Calculations based on ingredients entered into CalorieCount and may not be 100% accurate.
This will be my last new recipe post this week as the kids are off from school on their Spring Break. I'll be back with a new post on Monday, April 8th. In the meantime, take a look around the site and catch up on some posts you might have missed. There are also two giveaways happening so if you didn't enter yet, now's your chance!
- Spring Celebration KitchenAid Giveaway-Enter for your chance to win a shiny, new, red KitchenAid Stand Mixer. Contest ends 4/23/13.
- Catching Fireflies Giveaway-Enter for your chance to win a $43 Gift Certificate. Contest ends 4/7/13.