Pages

Stay Connected

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Whole Grain Spaghetti with Bruschetta and Chick Peas

Remember when I did a photo retake of one of my favorite recipes for Bruschetta last month? In that post, I also mentioned how bruschetta can be used for other dishes other than to top toasted bread as an appetizer. One of those suggestions was to mix it with pasta; which is what I did with the leftovers from my last batch. This Mediterranean inspired meal has so many wonderful flavors and the chick peas just add another dimension of texture to the dish; not to mention added protein! It is also a quick meal to throw together during a busy weeknight. 


Whole Grain Spaghetti with Bruschetta and Chick Peas
1 lb. Spaghetti (I used Barilla Plus)
2 c. Prepared Bruschetta
15oz. Can Chick Peas, rinsed and drained
1/2 c. Pecorino Romano Cheese, shredded
Kosher Salt, to taste
Fresh Ground Black Pepper, to taste

Directions:
1. Prepare pasta according to package instructions. Drain water reserving 1 cup to use in the pasta. 
2. Add the bruschetta and chick peas to the pot and allow to heat through for about 5 minutes. 
3. Add the pasta, pasta water and cheese; mix well and season with salt and pepper. Serves 6. 




*Nutritional Information per Serving: Calories 441, Carbs 58.9g, Fat 14.2g, Protein 20.4g, Fiber 8.1g, Sugar 5.7g
*Calculations based on ingredients entered into CalorieCount and may not be 100% accurate.


This will be my last new recipe post this week as the kids are off from school on their Spring Break. I'll be back with a new post on Monday, April 8th. In the meantime, take a look around the site and catch up on some posts you might have missed. There are also two giveaways happening so if you didn't enter yet, now's your chance!
Enjoy the rest of your week! 

8 comments:

  1. Carrie,
    I think pasta is such a great dish for a busy night. Or even an easy day--we're all home today, during Spring break, and I threw a bag of frozen sauce and a bag of frozen grilled summer veg into the crock pot to warm up for supper. When I went to blend up the veggies (my kids like a smooth sauce) I realized the sauce was too thick. So I tossed in a put up jar of sauce, which is too thin, and we'll have all that over spaghetti later. Honestly, I thought today was tomorrow and therefore the day before my daughter's birthday, so I was doing an early 'favorite dinner' meal for her, but I'm happy to use up 2 freezer containers and a canning jar and get leftovers for another meal. Chick peas--brilliant idea! I'm thinking this will go great on CSA pick up nights when I am long on fresh produce and short on time.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds delicious Kirsten and Happy Birthday to your daughter!

      Delete
  2. A great dish for a Sunday meal with my friends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As much as I love chickpeas, I've never tried adding them to pasta. But now you have me intrigued... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It gives your pasta an extra layer of texture Anita, try it. :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis