However, with my new found love of fresh beets, I decided to give the old recipe a makeover using fresh ingredients like beets and tarragon; then using a white balsamic vinegar to give it a slightly different flavor. These marinated beets were so refreshing and flavorful and would make a lovely salad for any upcoming summer gathering.
Prep Time: 10 minutes Yield: 4
Cook Time: 40 minutes Serving: 1/2 cup
Refrigeration: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours 50 minutes
- 3 Medium/Large Beets, stems removed
- 1/4 c. Red Onion, thinly diced
- 1/4 c. White Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp. Fresh Tarragon, chopped
- 1 tbsp. Sugar
- Kosher Salt, to taste
- Fresh Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- Place beets in a pot, then cover with water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and allow to simmer until the beets have softened. Cooking times may vary depending on size, but will take approximately 20-40 minutes. Remove from pan and allow to cool in cold water.
- Peel the beet skins, slice beets into 1/4" thick slices; then cut into manageable, bite-sized pieces and place in a bowl; then add the onions.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, oil, tarragon and sugar until it's combined; then add it to the beets. Mix well and season with salt and pepper.
- Allow to refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.