Stay Connected

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Pickled Beets

As a child, I remember going to family picnics and without fail, there would always be pickled beets as a salad option. I never particularly cared for them when I was young, but as I reached my teenaged years, I tried them again. The recipe was simple: canned beets, onions and white wine vinegar and I thought they were alright, but not something I would rush out to make for myself.  In fact, I don't recall having eaten pickled beets again since the 1980's!

However, with my new found love of fresh beets, I decided to give the old recipe a makeover using fresh ingredients like beets and tarragon; then using a white balsamic vinegar to give it a slightly different flavor. These marinated beets were so refreshing and flavorful and would make a lovely salad for any upcoming summer gathering.

Pickled Beets
Prep Time:      10 minutes                 Yield: 4
Cook Time:     40 minutes                 Serving: 1/2 cup
Refrigeration: 2 hours
Total Time:     2 hours 50 minutes

  • 3 Medium/Large Beets, stems removed
  • 1/4 c. Red Onion, thinly diced
  • 1/4 c. White Balsamic Vinegar
  • 1 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 1 tsp. Fresh Tarragon, chopped
  • 1 tbsp. Sugar
  • Kosher Salt, to taste
  • Fresh Ground Black Pepper, to taste
  1.  Place beets in a pot, then cover with water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and allow to simmer until the beets have softened. Cooking times may vary depending on size, but will take approximately 20-40 minutes. Remove from pan and allow to cool in cold water. 
  2. Peel the beet skins, slice beets into 1/4" thick slices; then cut into manageable, bite-sized pieces and place in a bowl; then add the onions. 
  3. In a separate small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, oil, tarragon and sugar until it's combined; then add it to the beets. Mix well and season with salt and pepper. 
  4. Allow to refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. 

Nutrition Facts
Calories 90, Carbs 13.8g, Fat 3.7g, Protein 1.4g, Fiber 1.7g, Sugar 12g

*Calculations based on ingredients entered into Calorie Count and may not be 100% accurate. 


Shared on Thursday's Treasures 6/20/13 


  1. We LOVE pickled beets and I make them frequently. I always roast mine, pickle them in 1 part sugar, 1 part sherry vinegar and 1 part apple cider vinegar and add lots of red onion. So good!

  2. Thank you for sharing these gorgeous Pickled Beets on Thursday's Treasures, my sweet friend! I cannot wait to make them!

    1. You're very welcome my friend, I'm so glad you liked them. xo


Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.