Beef short ribs become extremely tender when braised and I like to use the English Cut; which is when the ribs are separated from one another along the bone and the meat sits on the top. They come in either a long slab or cut in half into 2" pieces; which is what I prefer using as I feel it's easier for portion control. I've made two other variations of short ribs including Braised Short Ribs made with two types of mustard, fresh rosemary and red wine and Beer Braised Short Ribs. Both were phenomenal and it had to do mostly with the cooking method. Low and slow = perfect every time!
This short rib recipe with pomegranate juice, rich, full bodied Cabernet wine, pomegranate and mushrooms was no exception. The meat literally fell off of the bone and the flavors were heavenly. You do have to be patient though and plan to prepare this meal when you have a little extra time. I made mine on a Sunday afternoon and the smell in the kitchen that day was amazing. ~Enjoy!
Pomegranate Cabernet Braised Short Ribs
Prep Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 3 hours Total Time: 3 1/2 hours Serves: 8
4lb. English Cut Beef Short Ribs (8 ribs)
1 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1- 10(ounce) Package White Mushrooms, quartered
4 Garlic Cloves, thinly sliced
1 tbsp. Fresh Rosemary, chopped
1c. Pomegranate Juice
1 c. Cabernet Wine
1 Pomegranate, seeds only
Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium heat.
- Season the ribs with salt and pepper, add them to the pot. Allow to brown on all sides for approximately 10-15 minutes. Remove the ribs from the pan and set aside. You may have to do this in batches depending on the size of your pot.
- Add the mushrooms to the pot and saute 3-4 minutes; then add the garlic and rosemary and saute for another minute.
- Add the pomegranate juice and wine to the pot and mix well; then place the ribs back into the pot, submerging as much of them into the liquid as you can.
- Turn off the heat, cover the pot and place the entire Dutch oven into the oven. Bake for 3 hours, stirring once every hour to submerge other pieces of the meat.
- Carefully remove the pot from the oven; then remove the ribs by placing them on a serving platter. Cover to keep warm and set aside.
- Place the pot on the burner over high heat and bring the liquid to a boil. Allow to simmer for about 10 minutes; then stir in pomegranate seeds. Pour the liquid over the short ribs and serve.