Pages

Stay Connected

Friday, August 26, 2011

Fiesta Chicken Spinach Dip



Many years ago, my then boyfriend (now hubby) and I would like to go out for dinner at this mid-sized restaurant in our area. They had this appetizer there that we both loved. So one day, I had decided to ask them what they put in it and go figure...they wouldn't tell me! So the next time we went, we ordered it again but this time I really tried to hone in on my sense of taste alone to try to figure out what was in it. Well, I'm happy to report, my taste buds haven't failed me yet and I have been making this hot dip ever since! It's really quite easy to prepare and over the years, I've learned to opt for the reduced calorie versions of the cheese and sour cream. It's certainly different and not one that I've ever seen anyone else make. In fact, that restaurant still happens to be standing BUT they haven't served this dip on their menu for over 18 years.

Fiesta Chicken Spinach Dip

  • 1 Boneless Chicken Breast or 5 Chicken Tenders, cut in 1/2" pieces
  • 2 Tbsp. Flour
  • 2 Tbsp. Canola Oil
  • 1-10oz. Package Frozen Chopped Spinach, thawed and drained
  • 1-15oz. Can Black Beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1/2 Cup Scallions, chopped
  • 1 Plum Tomato, diced
  • 8 oz. Sour Cream
  • 8oz. Shredded Cheddar Cheese
  • 2 tsp. Chili Powder
  • 1 Bag Tortilla Chips
  • 1 tsp. Kosher Salt

Directions

  1. Add 1 tsp. of chili powder to the flour and dredge the chicken pieces. 
  2. In a nonstick saute pan, heat the oil and add the chicken. Brown the chicken pieces until they are cooked through; remove from the pan and let drain on paper towels to remove excess oil. 
  3. In a large bowl, add the beans, spinach, scallions, tomatoes, 4oz. of the cheese, sour cream, the remaining 1 tsp. of chili powder, the cooked chicken pieces, and salt. Mix well. 
  4. Add the mixture to an 8x8 oven safe cooking dish. Top with the remaining cheese and bake at 350°F for 30 minutes or until cheese has melted and is bubbly. Serve hot with tortilla chips. Serves 8-10. 

Enjoy!


Shared on Baking Bad Foodie Friday 1/14/12

6 comments:

  1. OH BOY ANOTHER USE FOR MY BELOVED Rotisserie Chickens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a feeling you might like this one. When you try it out, let me know how you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummo! We used left over baked chicken, which we chunked, and a bag of fresh spinach, which we chopped and microwaved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you liked it and I bet the chicken and fresh spinach tasted great too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carrie! This looks sooooo good. I am in love with all the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis