Pages

Stay Connected

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Black Bean Zucchini Fritters

Guess what? I still have more zucchini to use up! I think this is the never ending supply this summer. Thank goodness I love it but I wasn't sure what I was going to try next. While I was in FL last week, I had posted a restaurant review where I had tried Black Bean Cakes. They were amazing but more on the spicy side served with guacamole, salsa and sour cream. I liked them so much I figured I'd give mine a little Mediterranean twist and throw in some of that zucchini too (Shhh..don't tell the kids, they'll never know!). These fritters were to die for and I could make an entire meal out of them alone! By using the self rising flour they puffed up like a cake but were light and fluffy, not dense like a regular black bean cake and the lemon and basil gave them such a fresh taste. **One side note...eat them immediately for the best flavor. I had made my husband a plate for dinner to eat after he got home from work and after they were reheated in the microwave, they were REALLY dry.

Black Bean Zucchini Fritters
1-15oz. Can Black Beans, rinsed well
1 Cup Zucchini, skin on and grated
1 Clove Garlic
2 Tbsp. Fresh Basil, chopped
2 tsp. Lemon Zest
1/2 Cup Self Rising Flour
2 Egg Whites
1/2 tsp. Sea Salt
1/4 tsp. Fresh Ground Black Pepper
Canola Oil, for frying

Add all ingredients to a bowl. Mix well until it looks like a thick, sticky batter. Heat approximately 1" of oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Gently drop a heaping kitchen tablespoon (a.k.a.soup spoon) of the mixture and flatten. Fry 3-4 minutes per side until golden brown. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels or a brown paper bag to remove excess oil. Makes 8-10.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Never ending summer (these will be missed about a week after you run out ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis