Pages

Stay Connected

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Copycat Recipe Week: Day 5-Chicken Vegetable Alfredo Lasagna


Wow, I can't believe it's Day 6 already! I've been cooking up a storm this week so I'll have plenty of my own new recipes to share with you next week but today's featured recipe comes from Lisa at Lisa's Dinnertime Dish. Now Lisa had already adapted this from Pampered Chef's Celebrate cookbook and I also changed it slightly by removing the peppers (we're not fond of them) and I added in some plum tomatoes instead for the red color. What I found is, you could add just about any vegetable to this dish and it will come out perfectly, so just choose your favorites. The Alfredo sauce was so quick to prepare and extremely tasty. I didn't have any leftover chicken so I had to cook up some chicken breasts ahead of time but Lisa was right, a nice Rotisserie chicken or even leftover chicken or turkey from a roast would make this dish even easier to prepare. The family LOVED it and will definitely be one I'll make again. 

On another note, I recently joined the Weight Watchers® PointsPlus program. It's been something I've been putting off for quite some time and finally decided to just go out and do it (there's no time like the present right?!). So going forward, I will be posting the points values at the end of each recipe. Part of the reason I started with this recipe is because when my husband first heard I was making this, he thought it was going to be extremely high in calories (and points...he's doing this with me also). But after plugging in all of the ingredients, it didn't turn out as bad as we thought (Yippee!!). This was plenty for me as it was very filling but you can also serve this with a tossed salad or an extra side of vegetables if you're looking for something more. Thanks for a great recipe Lisa! 

Chicken Vegetable Alfredo Lasagna
6 No Boil Lasagna Sheets (I used Barilla)
3 c. Cooked Chicken, chopped
1 c. Zucchini, chopped
2 Plum Tomatoes, chopped
1/4 c. Red Onion, finely chopped
2 Cloves Garlic, minced
2 c. Part Skim Shredded Mozzarella
3 oz. Crumbled Low Fat Feta Cheese
3 c. Fresh Spinach, washed/stems removed
3 c. Prepared Alfredo Sauce (use recipe below or your own version)
1 oz. Shredded 3 Cheese Italian Mix (I used DiGiorno Parmesan, Asiago & Romano)

Add the chicken, zucchini, tomatoes, onion, garlic, mozzarella and feta cheese to a bowl and mix well. Line a 9x9 oven safe baking dish with some of the Alfredo sauce, then place 3 lasagna sheets on the bottom and add more sauce. Add a layer of spinach leaves, then half of the chicken and cheese mixture. Repeat for the second layer. Sprinkle with the shredded cheese, cover with aluminum foil and bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes. (I recommend putting this on a sheet pan so that it doesn't drip on the bottom of your oven). Remove foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand for 15 minutes before slicing. Serves 9. 

Alfredo Sauce
2 tbsp. Butter
2 tbsp. All Purpose Flour
3 c. 2% Milk
Pinch of Nutmeg
1tsp. Dried Oregano
3 oz. Shredded 3 Cheese Italian Mix (I used DiGiorno Parmesan, Asiago & Romano)
Fresh Ground Pepper, to taste
Kosher Salt, to taste

In a large non stick frying pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add in the flour to form a roux. SLOWLY add in the milk until the sauce thickens. Remove from heat. Add in the cheese, nutmeg and oregano and mix well. Season with salt and pepper and set aside. Makes 3 cups.

Weight Watchers PointsPlus Value Per Serving = 7

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by Aaron. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had this recipe forever and finally made it for a New Year's Day dinner we hosted. Well, you weren't kidding when you said "no boil lasagna sheets." My neighborhood store didn't have any, so I just used the regular kind, thinking it didn't make a difference. It does! We ended up with more of a lasagna soup. BUT the flavors were still there, and it was absolutely delicious! Plan on making it again tonight to bring to a dinner party tomorrow. One of my new favorite meals, and I usually have most of the ingredients already on hand. Thanks for sharing!

    ~Jaime P.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you liked it Jaime. You can also gradually add the sauce and if it starts to look too "soupy", don't use all of it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis