Pages

Stay Connected

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Cranberry Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms

Thanksgiving is almost upon us and I still haven't fully planned my Turkey Day menu yet. We generally like traditional foods on this day...turkey, mashed potatoes, and the old standby, green bean casserole (still my favorite and even better the next day heating it to scalding hot temperatures in the microwave!) but I always like to make 1 or 2 (or 3 or 4 depending on my energy level that week) new items so I mostly get play with some new appetizers. While grocery shopping last week, they were having a sale on baby portabella mushrooms. (Did I mention we love mushrooms?) Anyway, I had an idea I wanted to try out before the holidays so I picked some up and tried this experiment out on my guinea pigs (a.k.a. hubby, kids and in-laws). I loved the addition of the cranberries in this recipe. Not only did they give it a nice contrasting color but they added just a hint of sweetness to the woodsy flavors of the mushrooms and rosemary. A definite keeper and one that I will be making again this Thanksgiving. 


Cranberry Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms
1-10oz. Package Baby Portabella Mushrooms
1/4 c. Scallions, chopped
1 Clove Garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. Fresh Rosemary, chopped
1 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 tbsp. Dried Cranberries (like Craisins®)
2 oz. Light Cream Cheese
1/2 c. Panko Breadcrumbs
Canola Oil Cooking Spray


Gently wash off mushrooms with a damp cloth, remove stems and finely chop. Heat oil in a frying pan and add the mushrooms, scallions, garlic and rosemary and saute for 5 minutes. Add in the cream cheese and mix until the cheese has melted and is well blended. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly. In a bowl, add the breadcrumbs, cranberries and mushroom mixture. Mix well and using a small spoon, fill each mushroom cap with the stuffing and place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 425 degrees for 18-20 minutes until the mushrooms are slightly brown. Makes 15-18 mushrooms(depends on the size within the package). 


Points+=1 per mushroom


Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. Carrie, these look so delicious, will have to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SOOO makeing these for Thanksgiving. I normally do a crab stuffed mushroom but these is a nice fall twist!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Matt! I just posted it. Thanks for the invite! :)

    http://www.favedietsblog.com/november-blog-hop-giveaway-favorite-vegetable-recipes/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shared with Church Supper #18
    http://networkedblogs.com/qhhoJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM!!! How perfect for when we're all "turkeyed out". Lol

    Have a blessed week and Happy Thanksgiving!

    Everyday Mom's Meals

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis