Pages

Stay Connected

Friday, January 27, 2012

Creamy Asian Root Vegetable Soup

Turnips. Another vegetable I have never eaten before. The most common are the white turnip and according to Wikipedia, the turnip was a well-established crop in Hellenistic and Roman times. The root is high in Vitamin C and is only 34 calories. 

I had purchased some during my fruit and vegetable run last week, but since I haven't been feeling well, I had forgotten they were there and found them buried in the bottom of my vegetable drawer. I started to think about what it was I was going to make when I opened my Facebook page, and there was my inspriation. Nisreen from Green Cuisine List had posted a picture of her Roasted Vegetable Soup on my wall (since I love roasting veggies!) which got me thinking about how good a nice hot bowl of soup would taste. So I did my weekly "refrigerator cleanout" to make room for next weeks fresh fruits and veggies and found some carrots, celery, a sweet potato, garlic, a piece of ginger root and of course these two small turnips. All the makings for a nice soup. It was creamy and oh so flavorful!


Creamy Asian Root Vegetable Soup
1 c. Carrots, chopped
2 Stalks Celery, chopped
2 White Turnips, peeled and chopped
1 Small Sweet Potato, peeled and chopped
2 Cloves Garlic, minced
1/4 c. Scallions, chopped
2 tsp. Fresh Ginger, grated
2 tbsp. Stir Fry Oil
2 tbsp. All Purpose Flour
1/4 c. Low Sodium Soy Sauce
4 c. Low Sodium Vegetable Broth (or you can use chicken broth)
2 c. Water
1/2 c. Heavy Cream
1/2 c. 2% Milk

In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the oil then add in the carrots, celery, turnips, sweet potato, garlic, scallions, and ginger. Saute for about 5-10 minutes then add flour and mix well. Next, add the soy sauce, broth and water and mix well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat then let simmer for 45 minutes or until all of the vegetables have softened. In a separate saucepan, heat the cream and milk. Use your immersion blender* to blend all of the ingredients together. Season with salt and pepper and garnish with chopped scallions. Makes 8 cups.


*If you do not have an immersion blender, simply pour the mixture into a regular blender and puree until smooth. Just be very careful not to fill it too much to the top as it will be extremely hot and you don't want to pop the lid off of your blender.


Enjoy!

Pin It


Shared on Amee's Savory Dish 1/27/12

Nutritional Widget Image

Powered by eRecipe.com

5 comments:

  1. This sounds really delicious, Carrie! I think I might just clean out my veggie drawer and see what I can come up with!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lisa~I can't wait to see your creation! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous flavors... and hearty too! I love me a good soup :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis