Pages

Stay Connected

Friday, December 7, 2012

Garlicky Stuffed Mushrooms


As promised, I'm saving Friday's for savory recipes for the next couple of weeks while we're on our Holiday Baking theme. And since it's the season for holiday parties, I wanted to share an easy appetizer. 

I hadn't made stuffed mushrooms in a while so I decided to make them as an appetizer for Thanksgiving. I was going to make a version I had made already, but realized that I hadn't made a basic stuffed mushroom with breading yet. I mean, I've made them over the years, but I never posted it here on the blog. I know. I know. Never make a new recipe for a holiday. But, in actuality, I made these the day before and took a picture when no one was home so it's all good. :) 

These are so easy to make and I like that you're utilizing all parts of the mushroom. If you don't have Ritz crackers, you can use breadcrumbs, but I like the extra buttery-ness that they give to this recipe. As for the garlic, well that part was kind of an accident, a good one at that. My cloves were pretty large so it really took on the garlicky flavor. If you don't like garlic, you can omit it and they'll taste just as great. 


Garlicky Stuffed Mushrooms
2-10oz. Packages White Button Mushrooms
1 Scallion, chopped
2 Cloves Garlic, minced
1 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
42 Ritz Crackers
2 Sprigs Thyme, removed from stem
2 tbsp. Butter, melted
Cooking Spray

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Rinse mushrooms to remove any dirt, then destem the mushrooms by holding the base and tilting the stem from left to right until it snaps out. 
3. Chop the stems using a knife or put them in a food processor. 
4. Heat the oil in a saute pan and add in the chopped mushroom stems, scallions, garlic and thyme. Saute until the mushrooms soften. 
5. Next, crush the Ritz crackers either by using a food processor, blender or putting them in a bag and using the back of a glass; then add the crackers and melted butter to the mushroom mixture and mix well.
6. Stuff the mushroom caps, line them on a baking sheet, spray the tops with cooking spray and bake for 25-30 minutes until the mushrooms are lightly brown. Makes approx. 28 pieces.

Enjoy!

Note: I breaded, covered and refrigerated them the day before. Then, when ready to serve the next day, I removed them from the refrigerator 30 minutes prior to baking so that they would come to room temperature.




Ritz Crackers has come out with handy packaging called Fresh Stacks. I love this new packaging as they are less likely to get stale. They're packaged in 8 packages of 14 crackers. For this recipe, I used 3 packages of 14 crackers. 








*Ritz Crackers did not compensate me in any way for this post. It is based on my own personal opinion.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis