Pages

Stay Connected

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Oatmeal Toffee Cookies

Here is another recipe that I twisted, because you know I wouldn't have been able to come up with this on my own! Many years ago, I printed out a recipe for Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies online and, like many other of my printed recipes, they are torn and tattered. I wanted to try something new and document it here online, so instead of adding chocolate chips, I used toffee bits and walnuts. These were amazingly good and what I did find out over the years (I guess you could call it my baking "a-ha" moment) is that in some cookie recipes, you get a softer cookie if you mix butter and shortening versus using all butter. If you prefer a crunchy, flat cookie, then by all means, use all butter. :)

Here is Holiday Baking recipe #8 for...

Oatmeal Toffee Cookies
Adapted from Quaker Oats
1 Stick Butter, softened
1/2 c. Crisco Vegetable Shortening
2 tbsp. Water
1/2 c. Granulated Sugar
1 c. Brown Sugar, packed
2 Eggs
2 tbsp. Milk
2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 3/4 c. All-Purpose Flour
2 1/2 c. Oats (I use Quaker regular oats, not the quick ones)
1 c. Heath Toffee Bits
1/3 c. Walnuts, chopped

Directions:
1. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, shortening, water and sugar (I use a wooden spoon). 
2. Add eggs, milk and vanilla; then mix well. 
3. Next, add in the flour and baking soda and mix well. 
4. Add in the oats, toffee and walnuts; mix well. 
5. Using the top half of a kitchen teaspoon, drop the cookie dough onto a greased baking sheet, leaving about 1-2" between them. (I like to make them smaller for the holidays so they're bite-sized)
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Let cool. Makes 4 dz. 

Enjoy! 

Oh and one other thing! Just a reminder that I will be on LIVE with Basilmomma tonight on her online radio show Around the Kitchen Sink! You can call in to speak to us live at 877-864-4869, listen online or come back tomorrow and go to the Announcements and Events Tab on the top of the page and I'll post the link to listen to the podcast at a later date. I would love to talk to you!

Thursday, December 13, 2012 
Around the Kitchen Sink Radio Show on Toginet
with Heather Tallman aka Basilmomma 
11:00pm est/10:00pm cst

5 comments:

  1. Looking for new cookie recipes. This one looks really good. Thank you for sharing.

    Heidi
    Dish Satellite Internet

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look awesome! Love the combo!! Also, if you're interested, I have a great giveaway for bakers on my blog now: http://foodforthefresh.blogspot.com/2012/12/winter-giveaway-enter-now-up-1219.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made these today and they are delicious. I had to play with size and time, but finally got them perfect. My son doesn't like raisins, so this is a good alternative to the classic oatmeal raisin. Thanks for another great recipe.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a huge fan of raisins either which is why I liked these as well. You can also try adding mini chocolate chips. I'm glad you liked them, thanks for letting me know. :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis