Pages

Stay Connected

Friday, December 14, 2012

Roasted Garlic Mashed Cauliflower

For those of you who might have missed my FB update, I tore my calf muscle the other day doing nothing more than walking my dog and twisted funny. Lucky for me, I don't need surgery; but I do need to be off of my feet for the next few days (on crutches) and then go to physical therapy for the next month. I have a few more new posts for next week, but will not be able to fulfill the promise of 12 Days of Holiday Baking being that I can't stand without support so I think cooking/baking is out of the question for a while. I'll try to post when I can! xo 

And now for today's savory recipe...

I made this recipe for Roasted Garlic Mashed Cauliflower last week and posted it on my Facebook page and the CEK fans went wild and couldn't wait for me to post this recipe. I love that it's so simple to prepare and if you're in a time crunch, I'm sure you could use frozen cauliflower instead of fresh. 

Roasting garlic is SO easy, but it does take some time. If you are in a rush, consider roasting it the night before, then just heat it up so the pulp extracts easier. You can use roasted garlic in so many dishes, but my hubby's favorite is to just smear it on top of a nice, juicy steak. We really liked this recipe and my youngest, who REFUSES to eat cauliflower in any form, ate THIS and LOVED it! Tricky mom that I am told her it was garlic potatoes and she fell for it. ;)


Roasted Garlic Mashed Cauliflower
1 Head Fresh Cauliflower, steamed until soft
2 tbsp. Butter
3-4 tbsp. Milk
1 Head Roasted Garlic
Kosher Salt, to taste
Fresh Ground Black Pepper, to taste

Directions:
1. Add your cooked cauliflower to a bowl and add the butter, milk and garlic pulp. (Depending on the size of the cauliflower, you may need to adjust how much milk you add)
2. Using your electric mixer, mash the cauliflower until it is a creamy consistency. Serves 4. 


Roasted Garlic
1 Head Garlic
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Sea Salt


Directions:
1. Remove the excess papery skin from the garlic. 
2. Cut off the top of the head of garlic exposing the garlic bulbs. 
3. Drizzle on a little oil and sprinkle with salt. 
4. Wrap the garlic head in aluminum foil and bake at 425 degrees for 30 minutes. 
5. Remove from the oven and squeeze out the garlic bulbs, it will be spreadable like butter. 


Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 
1 serving (170.1 g)
Amount Per Serving
Calories 
80
Calories from Fat 
31
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 
3.4g
5%
Saturated Fat 
2.0g
10%
Cholesterol 
9mg
3%
Sodium 
72mg
3%
Total Carbohydrates 
10.9g
4%
Dietary Fiber 
3.8g
15%
Sugars 
4.2g
Protein 
3.9g
Vitamin A 2%Vitamin C 115%
Calcium 6%Iron 4%
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet






Speaking of my youngest daughter, today is her 11th Birthday, man does time fly. Happy Birthday Baby Girl...I love you! She loves to help me in the kitchen and if you're new to CEK, she also wrote her own blog post a few months back, and is still one of my more popular posts today! So in honor of her birthday, I'll share her recipe again for Homemade Gnocchi with Sausage Bolognese with you in case you missed it. She was VERY proud of it (as was I) and talks about her 5 minutes of blogging fame often. Love this little apple that didn't fall far from the tree! <3 

3 comments:

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis