Pages

Stay Connected

Monday, February 4, 2013

Apricot Pistachio Oatmeal

Did you know that February is Hot Breakfast Month?  Studies show that eating breakfast gives your body the energy it needs to get through the day, as well as help improve focus and performance at work or school. 

I was never a big fan of breakfast. I used to grab the quickest thing on my way to work, which was usually the bagel store, but have you seen a NJ/NY bagel lately? My goodness it's like eating an entire loaf of bread in one sitting!  I don't particularly like cereal as most of the ones I like (taste-wise) make my tongue swell. I'm not joking, it's the WEIRDEST thing! I've tried eating plain oatmeal, which I do like on occasion, but mainly I prefer egg whites with sauteed mushrooms or a whole grain, extra fiber English Muffin with peanut butter. 

That is until I found a new product by Quaker Oats called Real Medleys. Have you tried them yet? They're a little expensive, but taste great and are packed with whole grain, fruit and nuts. I especially like them if you're short on time and need a quick, healthy breakfast. Just boil water, let it sit a minute or two and breakfast is ready. However, since the sodium counts are higher, as with many pre-packaged foods, I wanted to see if I could make my own version.  This Apricot Pistachio Oatmeal was great and very filling. It did take a little longer than instant, but the homemade version had 44 less calories, 3 grams less fat, and 95 grams less sodium. 


Apricot Pistachio Oatmeal
1 c. Water
1/2 c.Quaker Oats 
4 Dried Apricots, chopped
1 tbsp. Pistachios, shelled and chopped
1 tbsp. Honey

Directions:
1. Add water to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil; then add in the oatmeal. 
2. Reduce heat and allow to simmer until the water has been absorbed into the oats; approximately 6-8 minutes. 
3. Stir in the apricots, pistachios and honey. Serves 1. 

*Nutritional Information Serving: Calories 246, Carbs 47.4g, Fat 5g, Protein 6.2g, Fiber 4.8g

Enjoy! 

2 comments:

  1. Less than 10 minutes of cooking for a healthier version sounds great! The colors of the apricots and pistachios are lovely with the oatmeal too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are diabetic add some cinnamon it helps lower blood sugar.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis