Pages

Stay Connected

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Chicken in a Lemon Butter Sauce

How many of you are over 40? Well if you're not there yet, let me tell you that once you pass that milestone the brain goes. I don't know where it goes, but information is cycled in and out on a daily basis and you only get to keep what's happening in the near future in the forefront. That is until you wake up in the middle of the night remembering something that was funneled in at one point and you forgot all about it. Now, these can be REALLY important things or things that in the grand scheme of things aren't as important but they matter nonetheless. Which brings me to today's post. 

About 2 weeks ago, I woke up and remembered that my Aunt Renee had asked me if I had a Chicken with Lemon Butter Sauce recipe. At the time, all I had was a Chicken Francaise recipe (which is in the cookbook), but she said that wasn't it as it wasn't battered in egg. So I told her I'd make it soon and gone it went into the abyss! It's generally hard for me to make something that I haven't tasted before myself, but this one seemed easy enough. Well, at least I hope it's the same thing she was thinking of. 

So I made this Chicken with Lemon Butter Sauce in honor of my aunt and I hope she likes it. Since she lives in Michigan and I'm in New Jersey, it's not like I can have her try it out with me there. I know we all loved it and I paired it with white rice and steamed spinach, because isn't rice that much better when you have a sauce to put on top of it? Now if only I could remember what that abbreviation means on a date in my calendar! 




Chicken in a Lemon Butter Sauce
4-6oz. Boneless Chicken Breasts
1/2 c. All-Purpose Flour
3 tbsp. Canola Oil
2 tbsp. Butter
Lemon Butter Sauce; see below

Directions:
1. Slice chicken horizontally into three or four thinner pieces, then pound flat using a meat mallet. 
2. Dredge the chicken into the flour until all pieces have been coated.
3. Heat oil and butter in a large non-stick saute pan, then add the chicken. Allow to brown and cook through on each side; approximately 3-5 minutes per side depending on their thickness. 
4. Once done, place in an oven safe dish until all of the pieces have been cooked. 
5. Top with the sauce, then bake in a 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes. Serves 6 (approximately 12-14 pieces of chicken)

Lemon Butter Sauce
2 tbsp. Butter
1 Garlic Clove, minced
3 tbsp. All-Purpose Flour
2 c. Low-Sodium/Fat Free Chicken Broth
1 Lemon, zest and juice
1 tbsp. Chives
1 tsp. Fresh Thyme, removed from stem
Kosher Salt, to taste
Fresh Ground Black Pepper, to taste

Directions:
1. Melt butter in a medium saucepan and add the garlic. Saute for 1 minute, then whisk in the flour forming a roux. 
2. Gradually add in the chicken broth, whisking as your pouring so as not to form lumps. 
3. Next, add in the lemon zest and juice, chives, and thyme. Bring to a boil then allow to simmer for 5 minutes until slightly thickened. Season with salt and pepper. 


*Nutritional Information per Piece of Chicken (I got 14 pieces out of mine): Calories 130, Carbs 4.8g, Fat 7.4g, Protein 10.7g, Fiber .6g
*Calculations based on ingredients entered into CalorieCount and may not be 100% accurate.

Enjoy!

13 comments:

  1. I have to try this one. It really looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. With all the recipes that float down my screen on Face Book, this one caught my eye! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I'm John from Fooduel.com. It is a site in which users vote recipes
    from 1 to 10.

    There is a ranking of the best recipes and a profile with your recipes ordered. Each recipe has a link to the blog that belongs recipe. This way you will get traffic to your blog

    It's easy, fast and fun. The best Photo recipes will be stay here

    I invite you to enter add your blog and upload a recipe with a nice photo.

    We would love that you participate with some recipe like this.Look Amazing!

    Regards

    http://www.Fooduel.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carrie,
    I know what you mean about the 'over 40' thing. Good thing I take photos so I know what's going on.
    I made a creamy lemony sauce last night, but to go over linguini and roasted asparagus. Should have used more flour--because I'm here to tell ya that whisking in more flour *after* you've been cooking the sauce for a while just leads to lumps. Ah well, it tasted good.

    Thanks to you and your Aunt Renee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that sounds wonderful Kirsten, my husband would love it with the asparagus. And yes, it will lead to lumps after the fact. Next time, use a mixture of cornstarch and cold water if it still needs to be thicker and you won't get the lumps. :)

      Delete
  5. This dish is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, let me try to make this and tell your Aunt she is invited to my house for dinner. Where here in Michigan is she? :)
    This looks delicious Carrie.
    And I do agree about being 40+ let me tell you sometimes I look for things and I can't find it anywhere,
    You know why?
    Because I was actually holding it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and she's in Rochester Hills. I'm sure she'd love that! LOL And I've done that a few times myself as I'm yelling at the kids thinking they took it! :)

      Delete
  7. We do a very similar thing with chicken, only adding capers to the finished dish. This looks beautiful and I love anything where lemon is involved.
    Cheers!
    Barbara
    Sunday at the Giacometti's

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis