Pages

Stay Connected

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Low Fat Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo

As you all know, I've been trying to watch my weight, but my family still likes to eat certain types of food every now and then. Since today is National Fettuccine Alfredo day, I thought I'd play a trick on them to see if they'd notice that I made one of their favorite dishes a little healthier; well, more over the little one with the petite frame and skinny waste as she just doesn't understand what it means to not eat foods because they could add on the extra pounds! 

The regular recipe for Fettuccine Alfredo would typically call for all heavy cream and a lot more butter. I toned it down by using a majority of skim milk and also used chicken broth to cook the chicken instead of butter or oil. I also added a little more fresh ground black pepper than I normally would have to give it a little more of a kick and I have to say this was incredibly thick and creamy, just like the original recipe. And the best part was that Gab didn't even taste a difference..BONUS! It is still a very filling meal so a little goes a long way and I served ours with a tossed salad. 





Low Fat Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo
1 lb. Fettuccine (I used Whole Grain)
5 Chicken Tenders (or 2c. chicken breast), chopped
1/4 c. Low-Sodium Chicken Broth
1 tbsp. Butter
2 Garlic Cloves, minced
1/4 c. All-Purpose Flour
2 c. Skim Milk
1/4 c. Heavy Cream
2 c. Pecorino Romano Cheese, shredded
Kosher Salt, to taste
Fresh Ground Black Pepper, to taste

Directions:
1. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. 
2. While the pasta is cooking, add the chicken broth and chicken tenders to a saute pan. Saute until the meat is cooked through; set aside. 
3. In a small saucepan, heat the skim milk and heavy cream; do not boil. 
4. In another saucepan, melt the butter and add the garlic. Saute for about 1 minute, then slowly whisk in the flour forming a roux. 
5. Gradually add in the warmed milk and cream and whisk until it's blended with the flour with no lumps; then add in the cheese stirring until it has melted. 
6. Cover and let simmer on low until thickened; approximately 10-15 minutes. Be sure to stir the sauce occasionally so it doesn't stick. 
7. Add the cooked pasta to the sauce and mix well. Season with salt and pepper according to your taste. Serves 8. 


*Nutritional Information per Serving: Calories 363, Carbs 50g, Fat 9.9g, Protein 19.5g, Fiber 2.2g
*Calculations based on ingredients entered into CalorieCount and may not be 100% accurate.

Shared on The Country Cook Weekend Potluck 2/8/13

8 comments:

  1. Great job, Carrie! Congratulations on your loss, your weight loss that is!! I'm so happy for you!!!! Keep up the good work and keep on cutting the fat!!

    Stay epicurious,
    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  2. This pasta looks delicious! Great recipe!

    I just discovered your blog and browsed through some of your recipes, they all look scrumptious!

    I really enjoy reading your posts :) you have a new follower!

    Michela from Italy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by Michela and Welcome, I'm glad you found me! ;)

      Delete
  3. This looks delicious, Carrie! I love fettuccine Alfredo, and the idea of a bit of cream for flavor/mouth feel but skim milk for the rest is so clever.

    I thought today was World Nutella Day. I think next year someone should do a Nutella Fettuccine dish to honor the occasions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kirsten, now that would be interesting indeed!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis