Pages

Stay Connected

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

My Big Fat Greek Sweet Potato

I have a confession to make. I didn't make up the name for this recipe. Alexandra Ricardi did when I posted the picture on Facebook last week asking for suggestions. I don't know Alexandra other than the fact that she is a loyal CEK reader and also follows my Facebook page. And little does she know until she reads this post, I'm going to give her a signed copy of Carrie's Experimental Kitchen Cookbook for helping me out! :)

I guess it's true what they say how your taste buds change because I only started to like sweet potatoes within the last 5 years. Now I prefer them to eating regular potatoes, though the little one doesn't like them any way I've tried to prepare them so when purchasing them, I generally only buy 1-2 at a time. It was one of those nights when I didn't have a lot of time to prepare dinner (which happens about 98% of the time!) so I made these quick twice baked stuffed sweet potatoes to go with our meal using some of ingredients I had left from making other recipes. I also microwaved the potato instead of baking it to save some time and the entire dish was ready in under 30 minutes. If you wish to bake your potato, place it in a 350 degree oven for approximately 45-60 minutes depending on the size. 

I thought these sweet potatoes were delicious; however, hubby is not a huge fan of Feta cheese so to him they were just ok. They were so creamy when mashed that I didn't even need to use any butter; which also helped to cut down on the calories and fat. I served these with grilled chicken tenders and a tossed salad. 


My Big Fat Greek Sweet Potato
1 Large Sweet Potato
1/4 c. Feta Cheese, crumbled
2 tbsp. Plain Nonfat Greek Yogurt (I used Chobani)
2 tsp. Fresh Parsley
Kosher Salt, to taste
Fresh Ground Black Pepper, to taste

Directions:
1. Scrub the potato skin under warm water; then pierce the skin in several places with a fork or tip of a sharp knife to allow steam to escape. Place the potato on a microwave safe dish lined with a napkin or paper towel and microwave on high 8-10 minutes or until the inside is soft when a knife is inserted into the middle. 
2. Remove the potato, cut in half lengthwise; then scoop out the flesh and place in a bowl. Place the skins in an oven safe dish. 
3. Add 2 tbsp. of the cheese, yogurt, parsley, salt and pepper to the potatoes and mash well. I used the back of the fork and whipped until it was creamy. 
4. Place the potato mixture back into the shells, sprinkle with the remaining Feta cheese and broil for 2-3 minutes until the cheese has started to melt. Serves 2. 


*Nutritional Information per Serving: Calories 215, Carbs 38.4g, Fat 3.8g, Protein 8.1g, Fiber 6.3g, Sugar 12.2g
*Calculations based on ingredients entered into Calorie Count and may not be 100% accurate.


Enjoy! 

5 comments:

  1. Carrie,
    I've got a big fat sweet potato sitting on the counter and I believe it will get Alexandra's aptly-named treatment.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love sweet potatoes but would never have thought of cheese and parsley on them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! Looks totally amazing. I have everything I need in the frig to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need this, although I am pretty sure i'd eat that on my own

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you all like the recipe, thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis