Pages

Stay Connected

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Copycat Panera Broccoli & Cheese Soup

I have my own version of Broccoli & Cheese Soup in my cookbook, but so many people asked me about Panera Bread's version that I had to seek out their recipe and try it myself. I found this version made with half and half and it was very similar to my own recipe.



This soup was deliciously creamy and certainly warmed me up on a cold day. I did make a few adjustments to the original recipe by using low fat half and half and reduced fat cheddar cheese instead of the regular versions and frozen broccoli florets instead of fresh to save some time. The family really loved this soup; though they complained mentioned they would have preferred it better if I served it in a bread bowl. Maybe next time~Enjoy!



Copycat Panera Broccoli & Cheese Soup
Adapted from Group Recipes
Prep Time:  Cook Time: Serves: 8 (1-cup serving)


Ingredients
  • 1/4 c. Butter
  • 1/4 c. All-Purpose Flour
  • 2 c. Low Fat Half & Half
  • 2 c. Fat Free Chicken Broth
  • 1 tsp. Butter
  • 1/4 c. Chopped Red Onion
  • 1/2 c. Chopped Carrots
  • 12oz. Frozen Broccoli Florets
  • 2 c. Reduced Fat Shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese
  • 1/4 tsp. Ground Nutmeg
Directions
  1. Melt 1/4 cup of butter in a large saucepan over medium heat; then whisk in the flour forming a roux. 
  2. Gradually whisk in the half and half until the roux has dissolved; then whisk in the chicken broth.   Allow to simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. 
  3. While the liquid is simmering, melt the 1 teaspoon of butter in a small pan; then stir in the onions and carrots. Saute 2-3 minutes until the onions start to soften. Remove from heat and set aside. 
  4. Add the broccoli, onions and carrots to the liquid mixture, cover the pot with a lid and simmer over low heat for an additional 15 minutes; stirring occasionally. 
  5. Remove the soup from the heat. Use either an immersion blender  or a blender to puree the ingredients until smooth; then return the soup to the pan. 
  6. Stir in the cheese and nutmeg until the cheese has melted. 
Nutrition Facts per Serving 
Calories 240, Carbs 0g, Fat 17g, Protein 19g, Fiber 0g, Sugar 0g
*Calculations based on ingredients entered into Calorie Count and may not be 100% accurate.

2 comments:

  1. This was great, even without the onion which I realized too late that I didn't have! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked it! Thanks for stopping back to let me know. Happy Holidays!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis