Pages

Stay Connected

Monday, February 17, 2014

How to Make Blackberry Vinegar

 
Sometimes I never know what my next experiment is going to be until I find something unexpectedly. For example, our cheerleading team was hosting a garage sale fundraiser several months ago and I found four, white porcelain ramekins for $1. Not each, but all four for one dollar..BONUS! As soon as I saw them I KNEW I was going to make some kind of macaroni and cheese dish and that's when I created the recipe for Rosemary & Goat Cheese Mac n' Cheese. Perfect right?

Well this is the exact same way this recipe for Blackberry Vinegar was created. I was walking through Target one day and I like to look through those few isles where they have everything for $1. These cruets caught my eye and I loved how they had a chalkboard front. Since Spring is just around the corner, I thought making some homemade vinegar would be a great idea to post about to get us all out of this winter doldrum.

Making your own vinegar is SUPER EASY, it's the waiting that's a killer! Two ingredients: vinegar and fruit of your choice are all you need. My local market has had an abundance of blackberries lately so I chose to use those, but feel free to experiment and substitute as you wish. Once you make the vinegar, you can use it as the base for a salad dressing; to marinate meat, poultry or fish; or toss it in with your favorite pasta salad recipe. Here are some other fun recipe combinations I can't wait to try:
  • Raspberries + Balsamic Vinegar
  • Pears + White Vinegar
  • Oranges + Rice Wine Vinegar
  • Strawberries + Red Wine Vinegar
  • Peaches + White Vinegar
  • Vanilla Bean + White Vinegar
Don't they sound good? I can't wait for salad season! ~Enjoy! 


How to Make Blackberry Vinegar
Prep Time: 5 minutes  Resting Time: 2 weeks   Yields: 2 cups
Ingredients
  • 2 c. White Distilled Vinegar
  • 1 pt. Fresh Blackberries
Directions
  1. Add the vinegar and blackberries to a small, stainless steel saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat; then reduce heat to low and allow to simmer for 5 minutes. 
  2. Remove from the heat and allow to completely cool; approximately 30 minutes. 
  3. Place the vinegar in a covered, airtight container and allow to sit at room temperature for 2 weeks. 
  4. Sterilize your storage bottle by placing it in a saucepan filled with water. Allow it to come to a boil and simmer for 3 minutes; then remove and allow to dry. 
  5. Strain the vinegar in a fine mesh strainer or cheese cloth so that it catches any sediment. Discard the blackberries and store in your sterilized bottle. 
  6. Store in a cool, dry place for up to 6 months. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis