Pages

Stay Connected

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Basil Corn Chowder

A few weeks ago, while leaving from a football game, my girlfriends husband was asking what new things I had been making and he asked if I ever made a corn chowder. I said I hadn't in a long while but that did sound good...and then my over 40 brain kicked in and I completely forgot about it. Until, last week that is when I finally remembered and had some heavy cream left and figured I'd make a batch. This time, I added a bit of fresh basil to it and it gave it such a nice flavor. I also tend to use milk and heavy cream together to lighten it up a bit and then just thicken with cornstarch and water. 


Basil Corn Chowder
1 tbsp. Fresh Basil, chopped
1 tbsp. Red Onion, minced
1 tbsp. Butter
2 tbsp. Flour
4 c. Low-Sodium Chicken Broth
1 c. Water
2 Russet Potatoes, peeled and cut into bite size pieces
1/2 c. Heavy Cream
1/2 c. 2% Milk
2 c. Corn (I used the frozen variety but would also taste good with any leftover corn on the cob)
2 tbsp. Corn Starch + 2 tbsp. Cold Water
Kosher Salt, to taste
Fresh Ground Pepper, to taste


In a saucepan, heat butter. Add onion and basil and stir for 1-2 minutes. Add the flour forming a roux. Gradually add the chicken broth until the soup starts to thicken and the roux has mixed with the broth. Then add the remaining broth and water. Bring to a boil then add the potatoes and let simmer for 30 minutes. In a separate small saucepan, heat the heavy cream and milk. Add it to the soup along with the corn and let simmer for another 15 minutes. Thicken as needed with cornstarch and water mixture. Makes 6 cups. 


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis