Pages

Stay Connected

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Chicken in a Lemon Thyme Sauce with Lemon & Thyme Roasted Broccoli

I was in the mood for lemons the other night, so our dinner consisted of a lemon theme. It was also a night where it was my turn to pick up my daughter and her friend from practice and I started to get what I could prepared ahead of time so that we didn't eat dinner too late. I prepared the sauce for the chicken, which worked out well so that it had some time to cool off before I added it to the uncooked chicken. Then I had a brain lapse and put the broccoli in the oven, with it on, and ran out to go get my daughter. I got about 2 miles down the road when I realized what I did and had to turn around and come back home to turn off the oven. Now it wouldn't be a problem if she was close by, but it's about a 45 minute round trip venture by the time they actually get out of practice (they're never on time) and I do my drop offs. Anyway, crisis averted but I'm not sure exactly the amount of time it took to actually cook the broccoli so I guestimated below but you can tell when it's done by sticking a fork in it. It should be tender but not mushy.


Chicken in a Lemon Thyme Sauce
4 Boneless Chicken Breasts
1/2 c. Dry White Wine (I used Chardonnay)
1 tbsp. Fresh Thyme, removed from stem
Zest from 1/2 Lemon
2 tbsp. Butter
1 tbsp. All-Purpose Flour
1/2 c. Low-Sodium Chicken Broth


In a small saucepan, melt the butter and add the thyme and lemon zest. Add in the flour, forming a roux then deglaze the pan with the wine until it starts to thicken. Add in the chicken broth and let simmer for 5 minutes. Let cool slightly. Add the chicken to an oven safe baking dish, pour the sauce over the chicken and bake at 350°F for approximately 40 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165° (total cooking time depends on the thickness of your chicken). Serves 4. 


If you're not sure how to clean broccoli, I found this video explaining how to do so here. (There's a video for everything now! lol)


Lemon & Thyme Roasted Broccoli
2 Small Heads Fresh Broccoli (or 1 large)
Zest and Juice from 1/2 Lemon
2 Cloves Garlic, minced
1 tbsp. Fresh Thyme, removed from stem
1/4 c. Canola Oil
2 tbsp. Pecorino Romano Cheese, grated
1/4 c. Italian Flavored Breadcrumbs


Clean broccoli and add to a bowl. Next, add the lemon zest and juice, garlic, thyme, oil and grated cheese. Mix well and add it to the broccoli until it is well combined. Put the broccoli mixture into an oven safe baking dish and sprinkle with some breadcrumbs (you can leave this part off if you don't want it but it was the only way my young one would eat it). Bake at 350°F for approximately 20 minutes, until the broccoli is fork tender. Serves 4. 


Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Love your recipe, love all your food actually :). Would you mind if I took the liberty and included this lovely recipe on mydish.co.uk?. They love and crave more chicken recipes ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As long as the link comes back to this page I'm more than ok with it. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis