Pages

Stay Connected

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Chicken & Sausage "Jambalaya"

Well, if you haven't figured it out yet, I'm not a huge fan of "heat" in my food. A little bit is ok once in a while but I can't overdo it. So when I found this recipe in my recipe box from years gone by, I wanted to try to make this one again but noticed it had a lot of spices in it that I don't necessarily like. I think I originally got this from one of my bridesmaids over 17 years ago but I'm not sure where she got it and unfortunately I haven't spoken to her in years. So here is my version of the Jambalaya and it was delicious. I was actually able to put this together in less than 15 minutes (bonus!) which was a big help to me this week. I also only had quick rice in the house not long grain, so if you do use that kind of rice, you might want to add a bit more liquid so that the rice is fully cooked. It was definitely a "stick to your ribs" kind of meal, as my husband likes to affectionately call these types of dishes. 



Chicken & Sausage "Jambalaya"
1 lb. Boneless Chicken Breast, cut into 1" pieces
6 Links Italian Sausage, cut into 1" pieces
2 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Cloves Garlic, chopped
2 Stalks Celery, chopped
1/4 c. Red Onion, chopped
1 tbsp. Fresh Rosemary, chopped
1 tsp. Dried Oregano
1/2 tsp. Ground Thyme
1 1/2 c. Instant Rice (or long grain)
2 c. Low-Sodium Chicken Broth
2 tbsp. Tomato Paste (I use Hunts)
1 c. White Wine
1 tbsp. Lemon Juice


In a large, non-stick frying pan, add the oil and cook chicken until no pink. Remove from the pan and set aside. In the same pan, add the sausage and cook until most of the pink is gone and remove from pan; set aside. Add the garlic, celery, onion, rosemary, oregano and thyme to a Dutch oven and saute for 2-3 minutes over medium heat on top of the stove. Add the rice and mix well. Next, add back in the cooked chicken and sausage along with the chicken broth, wine, lemon juice, and tomato paste and bring to a slight boil. Cover the Dutch oven and bake at 300°F for 1 hour, stirring halfway through. Serves 4-6. 


Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Carrie, I really enjoy Jambalaya. I'd like to try your recipe. When do you add the cooked chicken & sausage back to the dutch oven?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Coop..Sorry about that! I fixed it on the post and thanks for catching that! :) You can add them back in when you add in the liquid. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis