Pages

Stay Connected

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Chorizo, Peas and Colby Jack Risotto

I was at a loss for dinner ideas the other night when I made this. My head was reeling from complete multi-tasking with house projects, decorating decisions and calendar synchronization that when I realized I hadn't taken anything out for dinner, it was already 4pm. I had purchased some Chorizo last week but never did anything with it and figured, I'd use that to make a one-pot dish for dinner. This recipe started out without the peas, but as I looked at it in the pan, it looked a little bland and needed some color. So I threw in some peas and it gave this dish that little something extra that it was missing. Now, I'm not a huge fan of peas, so I gave myself some before I added them in. I don't know, it's just one vegetable I can't get used to no matter how hard I try. I remember when my kids were babies and just trying out all sorts of vegetables; peas were both of their favorites. They used to try to get me to eat them by sticking them in my mouth, and being the type of parent that likes to try to set a good example, I would eat them with a smile on my face (while my body was secretly cringing on the inside). Anyway, this was good but very heavy...a little goes a long way.

Chorizo, Peas and Colby Jack Risotto
3oz. Chorizo, chopped fine
2 Cloves Garlic, minced
1 tsp. Fresh Rosemary, chopped
1 tbsp. Canola Oil
2 c. Arborio Rice
1 tbsp. Butter
4 c. Low-Sodium Chicken Broth
2 c. Water
1 c. Reduced Fat Shredded Colby Jack Cheese
1 c. Peas (I used frozen and defrosted them first)

In a large, non-stick pan heat oil and add the chorizo, garlic and rosemary. Saute for 5 minutes, then remove and set aside. In the same pan, add the rice and saute for 2-3 minutes. Gradually add one cup of chicken broth at a time, letting it absorb into the rice before each new addition. Next, add the water. When the water has almost absorbed, add back in the chorizo mixture, peas, cheese and butter. Mix well until the liquid has absorbed and it's creamy. Serves 4 for a main meal and 6-8 as a side dish.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Ah, perfect - I have chorizo in the freezer & needed a new recipe... anything I can substitute for peas?? We're not fans here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. New follower from facebook. Thought I'd take a minute to pop by and check out the blog. Looks fab, so many wonderful recipes on here. I've actually never have chorizo, think I should give it a whirl. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jenn I don't like peas either but spinach would work well too..just needs something to give it a little color.

    @Kim Welcome and I'm glad you found me! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis