Pages

Stay Connected

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Guest Blogger-Shrimp Coconut Curry Soup from Amee's Savory Dish

Well, today we dock in Nafplion, Greece and will be touring Mycenae & Epidaurus. Since I'm writing this before I left, I can only imagine that we are having a wonderful time (who wouldn't right?!). I know I'm taking great pictures and notes and can't wait to share all of this with you upon my return. 


But today, I'm happy to have the lovely Amee from Amee's Savory Dish here with us and she couldn't have picked a better recipe to share. Especially since I can no longer bring curry into my house (if you don't remember, I almost poisoned my hubby with it because apparently he's allergic and I cooked him a meal with it!). It just looks so healthy and I'm enjoying all of the many different types of recipes my foodie friends have shared with us so far, I hope you are also! So please join me in welcoming Amee to CEK! 


Amee is a southern girl, a stay-at-home mom of two, fitness enthusiast, obsessed foodie and soon to-be published children’s author.  Amee loves to write, create unique dishes and makeover her favorite recipes to adapt to a healthy lifestyle.  Amee shares her passion for eating local and organic, supporting ethical farming practices, growing your own food and keeping recipes as clean as possible.  However, there is room for the occasional splurge for holidays, special occasions and fun treats for kids. You can visit her blog  Amee’s Savory Dish and find her on Facebook here
I just love Thai cuisine.  I love the flavors, the textures and the beautiful colors in Thai dishes.  This coconut curry soup base is so versatile.  I added fresh shrimp for a healthy, lean protein.  I also used a whole grain rice noodle (Udon noodle) in this dish.  There is so much that you can do with this simple, but flavorful soup.  Optional add-ins are cooked diced chicken, scallions, cilantro, peanuts, tofu, chiles and a garnish of Thai basil.  The yellow curry paste used in this soup can be found at your local Asian market, or you can do what I did and purchase it from your favorite Thai restaurant.  I called up my favorite local spot and asked them if I could buy a 1/4 cup of their homemade yellow curry paste.  They were happy to package it up for me and it is much better than the store bought version.  If you have the ingredients on hand, it's always great to make it yourself.  Click here to read about the wonderful health benefits of curry paste.  All of the ingredients in this dish are good for you.  This is a great, healthy wintertime meal.  Enjoy~


Shrimp Coconut Curry Soup
Adapted from Martha Stewart Living

10 oz whole grain rice noodles (udon)
1 tbsp safflower oil
1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp Thai yellow curry paste
4 cups chicken stock (use stock not broth for best flavor)
1 can unsweetened coconut milk
1 lemon
1 1/2 cups fresh shrimp, peeled, deveined and tails removed
1/2 English cucumber, thinly sliced or diced

Boil noodles according to package directions.  Drain, rinse under cold water and toss with 1 tsp oil.  Heat remaining oil in a medium sauce pan (I used a dutch oven) over medium heat.  Add curry paste and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.  Whisk in stock.  Raise heat and bring to a boil.  Whisk in coconut milk, reduce heat to medium and add shrimp.  Cook until shrimp just turn pink and take off the heat.  Stir in noodles.  Cut lemon in half and squeeze 1 half into the saucepan.  Cut remaining half into 4 wedges.  Ladle into bowls and garnish with cucumber and lemon wedges.  *You can add optional toppings listed above.  Delish!! 


Here is the link to the original recipe Shrimp Coconut Curry Soup

2 comments:

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis