Pages

Stay Connected

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Garlic & Cheese Croutons

I know what you're thinking. Croutons? What a LAME post THIS is going to be! Well, at least those were the thoughts running through my head before I decided to make these. But then I stopped and said to myself "Self, if this were one of your nieces, would they know how make homemade croutons?" And the answer was a big fat NO. So, there you have it. You get to see how I make homemade croutons out of leftover hot dog buns. And yes, that is what I made these out of. We don't eat a lot of hot dogs (Gab is the only one that really eats them), but my daughter was craving them last week so I bought a package of them, along with the rolls. When I went to put the leftover rolls in the freezer to save them (like I said, she's the only one that eats them and it's only once in a blue moon!), I found another package of hot dog rolls in there that I had forgotten about and since they don't hold up well for too long in the freezer, I made these Garlic & Cheese Croutons; which are the kids favorite kind. 

If you don't have any hot dog rolls...no problem! You can use any leftover bread you happen to have, but these potato rolls added a nice sweet flavor as well. 


Garlic & Cheese Croutons
6 Hot Dog Rolls (I used Potato Rolls)
1/3 c. Canola Oil
1/4 c. Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese, grated
1 tsp. Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp. Kosher Salt
1/4 tsp. Fresh Ground Black Pepper




Directions:
1. Add the oil, cheese, garlic powder, salt and pepper to a bowl and whisk. 
2. Cut the hot dog rolls in half lengthwise, then cut into 1/2" chunks. Place in a bowl then add the oil mixture to coat well. 
3. Place the coated bread on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 10 minutes, turning halfway, or until the bread is nicely browned. 
4. Remove from oven, let cool completely, then place in an airtight container. Makes 8 cups. 

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis