Pages

Stay Connected

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Waldorf Chicken Salad

Isn't if funny how food trends change? Growing up, I can't remember a picnic without Waldorf Salad, which is a salad made with apples, walnuts, grapes and was mayonnaise based (And for those of you who have never heard of it, it was very popular back in the early 70's).  Though as an adult, I don't think I've eaten it or even seen it as an option on a menu or picnic in years. It's not the healthiest salad you can eat, but I always loved the combination of flavors in the salad. 

I decided a while back that I was going to give it a try this summer but here it is, the end of August , and I still hadn't gotten around to it! I had made a roasted chicken for dinner last Sunday and wanted to make a chicken salad for lunch out of the leftovers, but didn't want the same type I usually make. I decided to combine my favorite chicken salad with Waldorf Salad and this was a hit! It was slightly sweet, crunchy and nutty. I happened to have some apple yogurt to give it a little extra apple flavor, but you can use plain yogurt instead. 


Waldorf Chicken Salad
2 c. Cooked Chicken, diced
1 Apple, washed and cored
1-2 Stalks Celery, rinsed and chopped
1/2 c. Chopped Walnuts
Prepared Dressing

Directions:
1. Add the chicken, celery and walnuts to a bowl. 
2. Next, chop the apple into bite-sized pieces and add to the chicken. 
3. Add the prepared dressing and mix well. Keep refrigerated. Makes 4 cups. 
Dressing:
1/2 c. Hellmann's Mayonnaise
1/4 c. Yoplait Light Apple Yogurt
2 tsp. Honey
1/2 tsp. Kosher Salt
Juice from 1/2 Lemon

Add all ingredients to a small bowl; then whisk together until creamy. 

Enjoy! 

5 comments:

  1. very useful article with the best menu, I will try this recipe ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Waldorf Salad. I've seen it on a menu in a restaurant where I live, it was served in a grilled pineapple shell, with grilled cubed pineapple as the garnish. It was heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds delightful, thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  3. I don't think I liked this as a child b/c it was always made with nasty red delicious apples! I've had some recently and it was SO good! Like yours the mayo was cut with something else...I may have to make myself a batch :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had it in a long time either and I liked it much better with the mixture instead of just plain mayo. Thanks for stopping by Liz!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis