Pages

Stay Connected

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Beer Braised Short Ribs

I had run into the grocery store last week with a list of about 10 items and came out with a full basket spending close to $200. Has that ever happened to you? It does to me ALL OF THE TIME! I can't help myself. The grocery store to me is a world full of creativity, relaxation and imagination (no, I'm not crazy!). Every corner I turn I see something that is either on sale that I can't pass up or something new that I just have to experiment with. It doesn't matter how many items are on my list, nine times out of ten I will walk through the entire store, aisle by aisle, looking for that next ingredient that I can't live without. 

And this isn't something that just started with this blog. Oh no. Ask my husband. During my second pregnancy, I had complications which forced me to be bedridden at 14 weeks so he had to do the shopping. After going to the first aisle he realized that my list was in the order of the store...exactly. Row by row. (That's normal right?!). He will STILL tell this story every chance he gets because he thought it was so funny (i.e. ridiculous, insane, quirky...you get the picture!). 

My, my, my I went off on a tangent there! In any event, short ribs were on sale this particular time when I least expected them to be and of course, though I LOVE the two recipes I came up with so far for them, I just HAD to experiment with something new...hence using beer. These ribs tasted like "stew on the bone" as my oldest daughter so eloquently coined them. They were perfectly tender and melted in your mouth. I love braising for exactly this reason, which is searing your food at a high temperature, then finishing it off in a liquid. Perfect every time! 


Beer Braised Short Ribs
3 lbs. Beef Short Ribs
1 Bottle Beer (I used Sam Adams Winter Lager)
1 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Garlic Cloves, chopped
1/2 c. Onions, chopped
1/2 c. Carrots, thinly sliced
2 Stalks Celery, thinly sliced
1 tbsp. Lemon Thyme, removed from stem
2 tbsp. Spicy Mustard (I used Kosciusko)
3 c. Low Sodium Beef Broth
Kosher Salt
Fresh Ground Black Pepper

Directions:
1. Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large pot, season ribs with salt and pepper; then add to the pot. 
2. Sear meat on all sides until browned; approximately 10 minutes. 
3. Remove the ribs, place on a dish and cover with foil; set aside. 
4. Add the garlic, onions, carrots, celery, lemon thyme, and mustard to the pot; then saute for about 2-3 minutes. Add in the beer, scraping the bottom of the pan to release the bits; then add in the beef broth. 
5. Bring mixture to a boil then remove from heat and add back in the ribs, making sure you submerge them in the liquid as much as possible. 
6. Cover the Dutch oven with the lid then place the entire pot into a 350 degree oven for 3 hours; stirring once every hour. 
7. Remove the pot from the oven and place on your burner; then remove the ribs to a serving platter and cover with foil to keep warm. 
8. Bring the liquid up to a boil and cook for approximately 15 minutes until the liquid has thickened. Pour over the ribs. Serves 4. 

Enjoy!

10 comments:

  1. Sam Adams Winter Lager? In October? boy you must have really been digging deep to clean out the fridge... That beer hasn't been on the shelves in 6 months!

    Awesome recipe, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Coop! I don't drink beer and you're right, it's probably been in the refrigerator for that long. :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I would still brown the meat and vegetables prior to putting it in the crockpot, but yes, you could also cook it in there. I would cook it on low 4-6 hours or warm 6-8 hours. Then when you get home, place the liquid in a pot to thicken it up like in steps 7 and 8 above.

      Delete
  3. I don't drink beer but I can see why it would add to the flavor. I use red wine, after all. I've been seriously in the mood for a beef stew type dish for the last couple of days, too... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't either Anita but it does make a great base for a sauce! :)

      Delete
  4. I love the idea of cooking with beer! I cook with wine all the time. Your short ribs look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I Julia but wanted to give this a try and it paid off. Thank you for stopping by :)

      Delete
  5. I'll be making these, Carrie! Tweeted cuz they're too great not to tell the world!! xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis