Pages

Stay Connected

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Gemelli with Italian Sausage, Sun Dried Tomatoes and Creamed Spinach

Today is National Sausage Day so I thought I'd share one of my favorite meals with you. Both of our daughters cheer during the fall season for football which means a lot of last minute, quick dinners are needed. By the time they get home from school, do their homework then head out to practices, it doesn't leave much time for dinner preparation. And no, I still haven't figured out how to cook meals while in transport but I'm working on it! This one is packed with wonderful flavors and only takes about 20 minutes from start to finish. As much as I love fresh vegetables, I like to keep things like frozen spinach and broccoli on hand for quick, last minute toss in's for pasta dishes like this one. Just add a tossed salad and dinner is served! 


Gemelli with Italian Sausage, Sun Dried Tomatoes and Creamed Spinach
1 lb. Gemelli Pasta
1 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
6 Links Italian Sweet Sausage, casings removed 
1/2 c. Sun Dried Tomatoes, chopped
1 Garlic Clove, minced
1/4 c. Red Onion, chopped
1 c. Creamed Spinach (I used Seabrook Farms)
1/2 c. Low-Sodium Chicken Broth
1/4 c. White Wine


Directions:
1. Cook pasta according to package instructions; set aside. 
2. While the pasta is cooking, heat the oil in a large saute pan, then add in the sausage. Break it apart and cook throughout until there is no pink left. 
3. Add in the onions, garlic, and sun dried tomatoes and saute until the onions start to become soft; then add in the creamed spinach. 
4. Mix well, then add in the chicken broth and white wine; then let simmer 5 minutes. 
5. Add in the cooked pasta and mix well. Serves 6. 

Enjoy! 

*Tip: For a healthier option, substitute turkey sausage and whole wheat or whole grain pasta. 

7 comments:

  1. This looks so yummy! I love finding new pasta dishes to make :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by Ashley, I'm glad you like this recipe. :)

      Delete
  2. This looks amazing; such a great weeknight dinner! Thanks for sharing Carrie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic dish! I had to improvise, but still super yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed it, thanks for letting me know! :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for linking this super sausage post in to Food on Friday. I am now signed up to follow you. A follow back to Carole's Chatter would be wonderful – or are you already following? Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis