Pages

Stay Connected

Monday, January 14, 2013

Low Fat Black Bean & Sun Dried Tomato Lasagna

I mentioned previously that I was going to start watching what I was eating more carefully and that I started using an app called Lose It.* Well, I'm happy to report, that just by keeping track of my daily caloric intake, I've lost 3.5 lbs in the first week...YIPEE! I have a long way to go and after my doctors clearance this past Thursday for my leg (I tore my calf muscle right before Christmas for all of the new people following CEK), I can now start to include an exercise routine into my week on a more regular basis.

Which brings me to today's recipe. I love quintessential Italian foods, like lasagna, but I knew there had to be a way to still enjoy my favorite foods if I tweaked them a little to be healthier without losing the flavor that sometimes accompanies reduced calorie meals. I am happy to report that this little experiment was AMAZING! And, if you don't care about the added calories and fat, by all means use whole milk ricotta and mozzarella cheeses, because this lasagna had such a robust flavor, you HAVE to give it a try!



Low Fat Black Bean & Sun Dried Tomato Lasagna
10 No Boil Lasagna Noodles (I used Barilla)
1lb. 1% Small Curd Cottage Cheese
1 Egg
1 1/2 tbsp. Fresh Basil, chopped
1 c. Part Skim, Low Moisture Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
1 tsp. Garlic Powder
1/4 c. Sun Dried Tomatoes (not packed in oil)
1-15oz. Can Black Beans, rinsed
3 c. Marinara Sauce
Kosher Salt, to taste 
Fresh Ground Black Pepper, to taste

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
2. In a bowl, combine the cottage cheese, egg, basil, 1/2 cup mozzarella, garlic powder, black beans and 1/2 cup marinara sauce; mix well. 
3. Place a thin coating of marinara sauce in a 9" x 13" oven safe baking dish then start to layer your lasagna noodles and cheese mixture, adding a thin layer of sauce in between. You should have three layers of cheese mixture. The last layer should be lasagna noodles, sauce and the remaining 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese. 
4. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the cheese has melted and noodles have softened. Serves 12. 


*Nutritional Information per Serving: Calories 212, Carbs 22.6g, Fat 6.7g, Protein 14.2g, Fiber 4g, Sugar 5.4g
*Calculations based on ingredients entered into CalorieCount and may not be 100% accurate.

*This does NOT mean that all recipes going forward on my site will be reduced fat; though I will let you know when they are. I will also include the nutritional information for each recipe I do prepare so you can decide on your individual portion size. 


Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I'm also doing lighter, healthier eating these days so it's great to see a lightened up recipe for something yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to do when you really enjoy food. I'm glad you like this one Anita.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis