Pages

Stay Connected

Monday, May 20, 2013

Red Bliss Potato Salad with Dijon Vinaigrette


May is National Salad Month so to kick off  the unofficial summer barbecue and party season, I will be bringing you a new salad recipe each day this week to get you ready. Especially since Memorial Day is right around the corner (can you believe it?!).  

The first salad I made for you this week is Red Bliss Potato Salad with Dijon Vinaigrette. Potato Salad is one of my favorites; however,  as much as I like the traditional mayo-based potato, macaroni and coleslaw varieties, they don't hold up as well in hot summer months without taking extra safety precautions to ensure the salads stay below 40 degrees. (Well that, and Rachael doesn't like mayonnaise...at all!). 

This deliciously light salad has just the right amount of "tang" and would go perfectly with any grilled meat or fish you decided to serve it with. 



Red Bliss Potato Salad with Dijon Vinaigrette
Prep Time:  1 hours 15 minutes                           Yield: 10
Cook Time: 30 minutes                                        Serving: 1/2 cup
Total Time:  1 hour 45 minutes

Ingredients
For the Red Bliss Potato Salad
  • 2lb. Red Bliss Potatoes (approximately 5-6)
  • 1/2 c. Celery, small dice
  • 2 tbsp. Red Onion, small dice
  • Prepared Dijon Vinaigrette

For the Dijon Vinaigrette
  • 2 tsp. Granulated Sugar
  • 2 tbsp. Distilled White Vinegar
  • 2 tsp. Dijon Mustard
  • 1/4 c. Canola Oil
  • Kosher Salt, to taste
  • Fresh Ground Black Pepper, to taste

Directions
For the Red Bliss Potato Salad
  1. Scrub the potato skins with a soft brush to remove any dirt. Add the potatoes to a pot and fill with water. 
  2. Bring the potatoes to a boil over medium-high heat; then allow to cook until fork tender; approximately 25-30 minutes. Drain and cool. 
  3. Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise, then in half again; then slice into 1/4" thick slices. 
  4. Add the potatoes to a bowl; then add in the celery and onions. 
  5. Add the prepared Dijon Vinaigrette, then season with salt and pepper. Mix well and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. 
For the Dijon Vinaigrette
  1. Combine the sugar, vinegar, mustard and oil. Whisk well.
Nutrition Facts
Calories 47 , Carbs 1.9g, Fat 4.2g, Protein .1g, Fiber .3g, Sugar 1.6g
*Calculations based on ingredients entered into Calorie Count and may not be 100% accurate.

Enjoy! 

Did you enter the Prepping for Summer Giveaway yet? 

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for this, Carrie! (Saw your post in Mike's "Culinary Lens Newspaper.") I love mayonnaise, but vinaigrette-based potato salads appeal even more. Yours looks entirely tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by I'm glad you like the recipe! Can you let me know where I can find the newspaper. I haven't seen it.

      Delete
  2. My mom could be a professional potato salad maker, if there was one.

    She is definitely getting the link to this emailed to her. This sounds fantastic!

    (I love being her guinea pig!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carrie! I don't like to mess with the perfect potato salad, but my older daughter doesn't like mayo so I came up with this one..which she loved!

      Delete
  3. Carrie,
    This potato salad looks so yummy! My kids have been asking for potato salad, and I keep meaning to get my act together. I like how you've included celery--I love that in a potato salad.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kirsten, I always put celery in my potato salads. It adds a nice crunch! :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis