Pages

Stay Connected

Monday, May 6, 2013

Chicken and Rice with Zucchini

Happy Monday, I hope you all had a lovely weekend! 

I don't have many of these, but I recently had a recipe flop. Well, not a complete flop because I was able to ultimately salvage the meal. But this recipe for Chicken and Rice with Zucchini first started off as something else. I had originally wanted to use my bone-in chicken thighs as a braise with the zucchini, but the sauce looked a little boring and colorless. So I wound up removing the chicken from the bone, adding some rice to absorb the liquid and turned it into a one-pot meal. 

I was SO glad I did! This dish was amazing and it really simplified my dinner plans for the evening. My guess is that you could also cook this in a slow cooker most of the day on low, then just add your rice a half hour before you're ready to serve.  I adjusted the directions and cooking times below to reflect using chicken off of the bone and you could even use boneless chicken or turkey breasts as well in this dish. 





Chicken and Rice with Zucchini
4 Chicken Thighs, boneless and skinless
1 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Medium Zucchini, rinsed
2 Scallions, chopped
2 Garlic Cloves, minced
8 oz. Mushrooms, sliced (I used white button)
3 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
1 c. White Wine (I used Pinot Grigio)
1 c. Instant White Rice 
Kosher Salt, to taste
Fresh Ground Black Pepper, to taste

Directions:
1. Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or large stockpot over medium-high heat. 
2. Rinse the chicken, then pat dry. Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add the chicken to the pot and allow to cook approximately 5 minutes; it should be lightly browned on all sides. 
3. While your chicken is browning, prepare your vegetables. Remove the top from the zucchini, cut in half lengthwise then chop in 1/4" slices (or half moons).
4. When the chicken is finished, add the zucchini, scallions, garlic, mushrooms and thyme to the pot. Allow to saute for 3-5 minutes until the vegetables start to soften; then add in the white wine. Cover the pot, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes. 
5. Next, add in the rice, replace the cover and allow to simmer for an additional 15-20 minutes; until the liquid is absorbed. (If using brown or long grain rice, cooking times may vary; as will the need for adding additional liquid, like chicken broth or water). Serves 4. 


*Nutritional Information per Serving: Calories 273, Carbs 23g, Fat 6.8g, Protein 18.9g, Fiber 1.4g, Sugar 1.9g
*Calculations based on ingredients entered into Calorie Count and may not be 100% accurate.

Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis