Pages

Stay Connected

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Graham Cracker & Pecan Crusted Baked Chicken




Sometimes I just create things out of the need to utilize things in my pantry, like I did with this simple and flavorful way to bake chicken. My kids get on "food kicks" where they're in the mood for something specific. I buy it. They eat half of it and then it goes bad or stale before they finish it or get tired of it, whichever comes first. Sound familiar?

This time it was graham crackers and the need (or rather want) for s'mores over the summer. But stale graham crackers taste horrible so instead of throwing them away, I made them into crumbs with my food processor, added some pecans to give it a little sweet, nutty flavor, then breaded my chicken with it. DELICIOUS! You can use this basic breading on boneless chicken, pork or fish as well, but I just happened to have a whole chicken in the freezer and cut it down into pieces.


Graham Cracker & Pecan Crusted Baked Chicken
Prep Time: 15 minutes              Yield: 8 pieces
Cook Time: 60 minutes             Serves: 5-6pp
Total Time: 75 minutes
Ingredients
  • 1 Whole Chicken, cut up
  • 2 Large Eggs
  • 2 1/2 c. Graham Cracker Crumbs
  • 1/2 c. Chopped Pecans
  • Cooking Spray
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
  2. Rinse chicken and pat dry. 
  3. Whisk eggs in a bowl and add a little water to thin it out slightly. 
  4. In a separate bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs and pecans. 
  5. Dip each chicken piece first into the egg, then into the breadcrumb mixture. 
  6. Place on a baking sheet, spray top with cooking spray and bake for approximately 60 minutes or until minimal internal temperature of 165 degrees. 
Enjoy! 


Nutrition Facts 
Calories 493, Carbs 23g, Fat 25.6g, Protein 41.6g, Fiber 1.7g, Sugar 9.2g
*Calculations based on ingredients entered into Calorie Count and may not be 100% accurate. For this recipe, I had to base the calculations on 6 servings as I couldn't determine by piece what the nutritional information would be. You could cut down on the calories by removing the skin or using boneless chicken, boneless center cut pork loin chops or your favorite fish. 



P.S. The Monthly Newsletter will be coming out this afternoon. Don't forget to check your email if you're signed up! 

Shared on Thursday's Treasures 10/3/13

4 comments:

  1. I bet this combination is delicious Carrie! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant, Carrie! My kids do the exact same thing, usually with cereal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here Kirsten to the point where I had to start buying those little boxes instead. I was always throwing them out! ;)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis