I don't usually make a lot of slow cooker meals; however, I had my pot still out on the counter after I made the Beef Stroganoff and I found myself with some defrosted sausage and day where I wouldn't be getting home any time soon to whip up dinner. I decided to make a stew with it (since I never tried it that way before) and boy was it good! I threw in the potatoes as a last minute decision as well to make it a complete all-in-one meal and I was glad I did. This Italian Sausage Stew was so filling and flavorful and I was happy that there was some extra left over so that I could pick on it for lunch the next day as it reheated beautifully.
Italian Sausage Stew
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 4-8 hours (depending on setting) Serves: 6
- 12 Italian Sausage Links (Sweet or Hot), cut in half
- 1 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 Red Onion, chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves, chopped
- 3 Stalks Celery, washed and sliced
- 3 Parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 3 Large Carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 Bunch Rosemary
- 1 Bunch Thyme
- 1/2 c. White Wine
- 1/2 c. Low Sodium/Fat Free Chicken Broth
- 4 Medium Red Potatoes, washed and quartered
- Kitchen String
- In a large nonstick saute pan, heat the oil over medium heat; then add the sausage and brown it on all sides. Place in your slow cooker.
- Next, add your onion, garlic, celery, parsnips, and carrots to the slow cooker and mix them in with the sausage.
- Tie the rosemary and thyme together with kitchen string and nestle the bunch in with the meat and vegetables. Pour the wine and chicken broth over the top, cover the slow cooker and cook on Low 6-8 hours or High 4-6 hours.
- The last hour of cooking, add in the potatoes. (If you don't have an extra hour, you can prepare the potatoes the night before by either boiling or microwaving them until they are soft, yet slightly firm).