Pages

Stay Connected

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Spinach Risotto

Raise your hand if you have fallen victim to purchasing boxed rice mixes at your local supermarket. I have. See my hand waving! It's convenient and easy, especially when you just don't think you have the time to make anything else. Just throw it all into one pot and in 20-25 minutes, you have a side dish to serve with your meal.

Well what if I told you that you could make a rice side dish without all of that added sodium, using fresh ingredients and it tastes even better than the boxed variety? Well you can! AND it still only takes 20-25 minutes...bonus! I LOVE making my own risotto because then I can control what I add to it and it's also a great way to use up leftovers or small amounts of something, like fresh spinach, that you might not have enough of to make something else. Besides, homemade always tastes much better!


Spinach Risotto
Cook Time: 20-25 minutes           Serves: 6 (as a side dish)
Ingredients

  • 1 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 1 1/2 c. Arborio Rice
  • 4 c. Light/Fat Free Chicken Broth
  • 1 c. Water
  • 3 c. Fresh Baby Spinach, packed
  • 1/4 c. Romano Cheese, grated

Directions

  1. In a large, non-stick saute pan, heat the oil over medium heat and stir in the rice. 
  2. Stir until the rice turns slightly brown, then add the chicken broth one cup at a time, allowing the liquid to evaporate after each addition. Add the water and when that has evaporated halfway, stir in the spinach and cheese. 
  3. Mix until the spinach has wilted and the rice is creamy in texture. 
Enjoy!


Nutrition Facts 

Calories 155, Carbs 26.8g, Fat 3.3g, Protein 4.3g, Fiber .2g, Sugar 0g
*Calculations based on ingredients entered into Calorie Count and may not be 100% accurate. 


Spinach Risotto Shopping List



If you love risotto like my family does, check out some of my other varieties too. There are even more in my cookbook! 

3 comments:

  1. Where is the wine, Carrie? I need wine in my risotto.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wine is FANTASTIC in risotto, but I made this one without since my kids don't always like the flavor of wine in their food. :)

      Delete
  2. Carrie,
    It looks wonderful--I look forward to trying it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis