Well what if I told you that you could make a rice side dish without all of that added sodium, using fresh ingredients and it tastes even better than the boxed variety? Well you can! AND it still only takes 20-25 minutes...bonus! I LOVE making my own risotto because then I can control what I add to it and it's also a great way to use up leftovers or small amounts of something, like fresh spinach, that you might not have enough of to make something else. Besides, homemade always tastes much better!
Cook Time: 20-25 minutes Serves: 6 (as a side dish)
- 1 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 c. Arborio Rice
- 4 c. Light/Fat Free Chicken Broth
- 1 c. Water
- 3 c. Fresh Baby Spinach, packed
- 1/4 c. Romano Cheese, grated
- In a large, non-stick saute pan, heat the oil over medium heat and stir in the rice.
- Stir until the rice turns slightly brown, then add the chicken broth one cup at a time, allowing the liquid to evaporate after each addition. Add the water and when that has evaporated halfway, stir in the spinach and cheese.
- Mix until the spinach has wilted and the rice is creamy in texture.
Calories 155, Carbs 26.8g, Fat 3.3g, Protein 4.3g, Fiber .2g, Sugar 0g
If you love risotto like my family does, check out some of my other varieties too. There are even more in my cookbook!