Pages

Stay Connected

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Cranberry Pear Sauce


Let's see a show of hands. How many people use canned cranberry sauce on Thanksgiving? I always did. It was just what I grew up with and yes, I even liked the jellied version that had to be sliced. (No judgement please). That is until last year when I made my own version after seeing how easy it was on some of my favorite blogs. 

This year, I was ready to experiment with my own concoction and came up with this Cranberry Pear Sauce. (Well, actually I combined the two because I had two lonesome pears that no one had eaten yet...shhh, it will be our secret!). I LOVED this Cranberry Pear Sauce and as you can see, it's very easy to prepare. With only five ingredients and a half hour of your time, you can have fresh cranberry sauce on your Thanksgiving table this year too.  AND...I'll bet you will NEVER go back to the canned stuff again...trust me!  


Cranberry Pear Sauce
Prep Time: 10 minutes   Cook Time: 30 Minutes   Yield: 2 1/2 cups   Servings: 5 (1/2 cup)
Ingredients
  • 3/4 c. White Wine (I used Chardonnay)
  • 1/2 c. Water
  • 1/4 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
  • 2 Bartlett Pears, peeled, cored and chopped
  • 12oz. Fresh Cranberries, rinsed
  • 3/4 c. Light Brown Sugar
Directions
  1. Combine the wine, water and cinnamon in a medium saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil; then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. 
  2. Stir in the cranberries, pears and sugar and bring back up to a boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer for an additional 15 minutes. 
  3. The sauce will be done when the cranberries start to burst open. Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely before transferring to a bowl. Keep refrigerated in an airtight container until ready to serve. Can be prepared up to 2 days ahead of time. 
Enjoy!


Nutrition Facts per Serving 
Calories 194, Carbs 45.1g, Fat .2g, Protein .5g, Fiber 4.9g, Sugar 35.8g
*Calculations based on ingredients entered into Calorie Count and may not be 100% accurate. 



5 comments:

  1. Could anything else be substituted for the wine? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose you could just use water or maybe some apple juice or apple cider, though I've never tried it that way. Let me know how it turns out!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much!

      Delete
  2. Carrie,
    This sounds terrific--though I've got 2 open bottles of red wine which I don't think would be that radical of a departure. My family may applaud the lack of beets.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made another version with red wine and it was just as tasty. I'm sure your family will love this recipe.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis