I decided I wanted to try a Pumpkin Cheese Ball version this year in keeping with my Thanksgiving theme and came up with this one consisting of cream cheese, pumpkin puree, maple syrup, fresh thyme and pecans. We really liked it, though the pumpkin really only gave it the orange color as you couldn't taste much of the pumpkin flavor. One note I'd like to make is that you have to use either a stand or electric mixer when combining the ingredients. DO NOT USE A BLENDER OR FOOD PROCESSOR! It will break down the solids in your cheese and it will not form into a ball properly.
Pumpkin Cheese Ball
Prep Time: 10 minutes Refrigeration Time: 2 hours Serves: 24 (2 tbsp. per serving)
- 12oz. Cream Cheese, softened
- 1/4 c. Pumpkin Puree
- 2 tbsp. Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp. Fresh Thyme, removed from stem
- 1/2 c. Whole Pecans, chopped
- Add the cream cheese, pumpkin puree, maple syrup and thyme to a stand or electric mixer until all ingredients are combined and smooth.
- Place mixture on top of plastic wrap and cover all sides forming a ball. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to one day ahead of time in order for the cheese to set.
- Add the pecans to a bowl and remove the plastic wrap from the cheese. Roll the ball in the nuts, coating all sides.
- Serve immediately with crackers or a sliced baguette.