Everyone has their favorite desserts and Thanksgiving is when we seem to make all of them...yes, at the same time. Pumpkin Pie. Apple Pie. Cheesecake. Chocolate Cream Pie. We always have a TON of desserts left over and half of the time we wind up throwing some of them away. This year, I experimented with a smaller version of one of my favorites with these Spiked Mini Apple Tarts with Cinnamon Whipped Cream.
My family of four DEVOURED these tasty morsels in a matter of days! And I really liked that these mini apple tarts were only 43 calories each versus approximately 300 calories per slice of a homemade apple pie. Now I can have my dessert after our huge Thanksgiving meal without feeling guilty. You can prepare these up to two days ahead of time; however, I recommend that you refrigerate them before adding the whipped cream; then top the tarts with the cream right before you are ready to serve.
Spiked Mini Apple Tarts with Cinnamon Whipped Cream
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cooking Time: 20 minutes Yield: 36 tarts
For the Spiked Mini Apple Tarts
- 1 Refrigerated Pie Crust
- 3 Medium McIntosh Apples, peeled and cored
- 1/2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
- 2 tbsp. Light Brown Sugar
- 1 tbsp. DeKuyper Red Apple
- 1 tbsp. Cornstarch
- Cooking Spray
- 1/2 c. Heavy Cream
- 2 tbsp. Confectioners Sugar
- 1 Dash Ground Cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Gently roll out the dough so that it's uniform in thickness; then cut out small circles using a shot glass or small mouthed glass (you want to make sure it fits in a mini muffin tin). You may need to do this several times.
- Spray a nonstick mini muffin tin with cooking spray and place each circle in each section of a and press down along the bottom and sides. (I use my mini tart shaper from Pampered Chef). Place the pan in the oven and bake for 5 minutes until the dough starts to cook and harden. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Chop the apples into small pieces and add to a bowl; then add the cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar, DeKuyper Red Apple and cornstarch. Mix well.
- Add the apple mixture to each pie crust shell, filling the apples to the top of each section. Place the pan in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Remove and allow to cool.
- While the apple tarts are in the oven, combine the heavy cream, confectioners sugar and cinnamon in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until stiff.
- Place a small dollop of whipped cream on top of each apple tart and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Calories 43, Carbs 6.3g, Fat 2.1g, Protein .3g, Fiber .4g, Sugar 2.3g