Pages

Stay Connected

Monday, March 12, 2012

2012 St. Patty's Day Menu & Blog Hop

Today, I'm honored to be part of my first BLOG HOP! Not only will you get to see my St. Patty's Day Feast, you will also get to see some other wonderful menu ideas from some of my blogging friends too!  Thank you to Joan from Chocolate, Chocolate and More for coordinating all of this, I'm sure it was quite an undertaking! 


The Irish have observed St. Patrick's Day as a religious holiday for over a thousand years on March 17th. On St. Patrick's Day, which falls during the Christian season of Lent, Irish families would traditionally attend church in the morning and celebrate in the afternoon. Lenten prohibitions against the consumption of meat were waived and people would dance, drink and feast—on the traditional meal of Irish bacon and cabbage.

First, I am only part Irish, amongst many other nationalities. We don't have a huge celebration on St. Patrick's Day but I usually make corned beef and Irish Soda bread during the week of and in my younger years, could be seen drinking green beer at Mc Shanley's Pub in downtown Providence, but I digress. ;) When my eldest daughter was in pre-school they celebrated Nationality Day where parents brought in food from their own cultures and the children dressed in cultural garb. So when my then 4 year old asked what she could dress up as, I was at a loss and told her she'd have to pick one of the following: My side: 1/2 Italian-1/2 Mixture of French Canadian, Irish, Scottish and Iroquois Indian and my husband's side-1/2 Portugese-1/2 Mixture of German and Irish. As you can see, we clearly have what is commonly known in the US culture as "mutt" children! So, what I did was take a white shirt and painted the US flag on the front, then painted all of the other nationalities flags on the back of the shirt. Needles to say it was a hit with all of the teachers and parents alike, and my daughter was proud to show off her heritage. 

I don't particularly like boiled food so you won't find the traditional boiled dinner here at CEK, but I can assure you that you'll LOVE IT just the same!

St. Patty's Day Menu 

Horseradish & Mustard Baked Corned Beef

Roasted Baby Potatoes

Honey Mustard Baby Carrots

Irish Soda Bread






Horseradish & Mustard Baked Corned Beef
2 lb. Corned Beef, thin cut
1 Bottle Lager Beer (I used Sam Adams Winter Lager)
Water
1 tbsp. Spicy Kosciusko Mustard
1 tbsp. Prepared Horseradish
1 tbsp. Honey

Trim most of the visible fat from the meat and place in a large pot. Pour in the beer and add water so that it covers the meat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer for 2-2 1/2 hours. Remove from pot, place in a baking dish, and add some of the liquid to the bottom of the pan (about 1 cup). In a small bowl, mix together the mustard, horseradish and honey. Brush it evenly on top of the meat. Bake at 350 degrees for an additional 30-35 minutes. Let rest for about 5-10 minutes, then cut on a diagonal across the grain. Serves 4. 

Roasted Baby Potatoes
2 lbs. Red Baby Potatoes, skins washed and cut in half
2 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tsp. Prepared Horseradish
1 tsp. Spicy Kosciusko Mustard

Add all ingredients to a bowl and mix well. Place on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 45-50 minutes until potatoes have softened and are golden brown. Serves 4. 

Honey Mustard Carrots
1-10oz. Package Fresh Baby Carrots
1 tbsp. Butter
1 tsp. Honey
1 tsp. Dijon Mustard

Steam carrots over a double boiler until they are fork tender, but not mushy. Add the carrots to a saute pan along with the butter, honey and mustard. Mix well and cook for about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper as needed. Serves 4. 

And now here's my favorite! I posted this original recipe back in June 2011, but I didn't have a picture of it. I never liked Irish Soda Bread until about 20 years ago when my friend, Tracey, who also happened to be the Pastry Chef where I worked at the time, made her version. Her's was moist and not dry like the typical bread you get at the store. This recipe will make two loaves, more than enough for 4 people, however, I love this bread toasted for breakfast in the mornings as well. Good thing I usually only make it once a year! If you like caraway seeds in yours, by all means add it in. Her recipe did call for it, I just don't particularly like them. 

Irish Soda Bread
6 c. + 1 c. All-Purpose Flour
1/2 c. Granulated Sugar
2 tsp. Baking Soda

1 tsp. Salt

1 c. Raisins

1 Stick Salted Butter, softened

2 1/2 c.  Low Fat Buttermilk


Sift dry ingredients using only 6 cups of the flour. Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the raisins and buttermilk. Mix with your hands until well incorporated and turn onto a lightly floured board; gradually using the remaining 1 cup of flour. Kneed 10-12 times. (The dough shouldn't be too sticky. If it is, gradually add a little more flour as needed). Split into 2 round loaves and cut a deep X into the top. Lightly spray a sheet pan with cooking spray and place the loaves. Bake at 350°F for approximately 50 minutes or until when you stick a knife in the center, it comes out clean. Makes 2 round loaves. 


I hope you like my St. Patty's Day Round Up. Click on the links below for some more great ideas! 



http://www.recipesformyboys.com/2012/03/st-patricks-day-blog-hop-colcannon-and.htmlhttp://anaffairfromtheheart.blogspot.com/2012/03/irish-cream-cheesecake.html

12 comments:

  1. Love your menu! Everything looks amazing and can't wait to try your dishes! <3 and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This menu looks amazing, Carrie! Can't wait to try your recipes.

    XO,
    ~Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrie, I feel stuffed just looking at all of this! I'll be the mustard just makes your dishes pop with flavor, can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Carrie!! This is truly an Irish Feast!! Looks utterly fantastic!! So happy to be joining you in this St. Patty's Day blog hop!! <3

    Michaela - An Affair from the Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michaela, same here! Everyone has fantastic contributions! xo

      Delete
  5. What a feast! I'm not a big fan of boiled foods either, so I love what you've done with these recipes. My husband loves horseradish and spicy mustard, so this menu would be right up his alley!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything looks soooo good! I'm craving corned beef now, but I have to wait until this weekend to make it. I think I might try your Irish Soda Bread recipe too--it sounds great! So glad to have joined you in the blog hop! Thanks to Joan for bringing us together, and giving me the opportunity to discover your blog--I'm looking forward to reading more of your posts in the future. :)

    ~Kimiko AKA The Beachside Baker

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Kimiko and so glad to meet you as well! xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis