Pages

Stay Connected

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Twice Baked Lime Sweet Potatoes

When I made the Grilled Chicken in a Lime Frost Sea Salt Brine, I also made these incredibly light twice baked sweet potatoes as well. I added a tablespoon of shredded cheese on top to entice my little one to eat them (which worked by the way!), but you certainly can leave the cheese off for a complete vegetarian side dish. These were creamy and tangy with a hint of lime and accompanied our meal perfectly! I didn't have much time so I microwaved these but if you prefer the taste of an oven baked potato better, simply place in the oven and bake at 350 degrees for about 45-60 minutes. 

Twice Baked Lime Sweet Potatoes
2 Large Sweet Potatoes, skins washed
1 Lime, zest and juice
1 tsp. The Spice and Tea Exchange Lime Frost Sea Salt (or you can substitute regular sea salt)
1/2 tsp. Fresh Ground Black Pepper
1/4 c. Reduced Fat Shredded Cheddar Jack Cheese

Place potatoes on a microwave safe dish lined with paper towels and pierce the skins with a fork.  Microwave the potatoes on high for 7 minutes, then turn them over for an additional 5-8 minutes until the potato is soft when pierced with a sharp knife. (Cooking time will depend on the size of the potato). Carefully cut the potato in half, lengthwise (it will be VERY hot!), scoop out the insides and add to a bowl. Save the potato skins. Next, add the lime zest and juice, salt and pepper and mash until smooth. You can use a hand masher or an electric one, which I prefer to get them extra creamy. Fill the potato skins with the mashed potato mixture and sprinkle 1 tbsp. of the cheese on top. Place in an oven safe dish or pan and bake at 425 degrees for approximately 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Serves 4.  

Points+=3pts. per half

Enjoy!

Pin It
Shared at Amee's Savory Dish Fit and Fabulous Fridays 3/9/12

15 comments:

  1. These look so amazing, I can't wait to try the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks lovely! I just made twice baked yams to go with pancetta wrapped chicken. I love your version, and shared it on the ChinDeep facebook page. Great photo! :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds really good, Carrie! I bet the tartness of the lime and sweetness of the potato go really well together and of course, a twice baked potato needs a little cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mm I love sweet potatoes! What an interesting flavor combo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the lime with the sweet potatoes!!! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These sweet potatoes will definitely be on my Easter dinner table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like them as much as we did Marla~Happy Easter!

      Delete
  7. Love new sweet potato recipes!! So easy, but very creative. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just made this for dinner and it was amazing! It is so easy to make. You will need to prick the sweet potato before microwaving it, otherwise it will pop open (ours did this after 4 minutes so we pricked them then).

    Very fast to make for a potato and incredibly good. Will be making this one again! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, I guess I forgot to mention that part! I'll adjust in the directions. I'm so glad you liked it and stopped by to let me know.

      Delete
  9. Just discovered this from Pinterest -- love sweet potatoes and this sounds so intriguing. The directions don't say, but I assume you need to 1) prick the potatoes first before microwaving, and 2) save the potato skins and re-apply the mashed pulp into them before baking in the oven -- right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about that! Yes, prick the potatoes first before microwaving and save the skins. Enjoy!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis