Pages

Stay Connected

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Chef Contest-Chicken with Roasted Peppers (Jenn Cedeno)


Welcome to the first every CEK's 2012 Home Grown Chef Contest! 

A few months ago, I challenged my readers to submit their favorite recipes and what a great response I had!  It is up to each recipe contributor to engage their friends/family/etc to view their recipe on this blog post and the 5 most popular recipes (determined by the number of page views it receives) will be added to a poll for everyone to vote on.  (For complete rules of the contest click HERE.) Good luck!

Recipe Contributor: 
Jenn Cedeno from NJ

Bio:
I’m not a “foodie” blogger; however, I am the author behind the blog: My Daily Jenn-ism.  I like to cook & constantly think of how I would like what I’m making to taste and then I just go with it.  I like to cook.  My husband likes to eat – so it all works out wonderfully.  My recipe below is TODAY’S version and always subject to change with my taste buds. I love this recipe!  And…so does my husband, so I’ve made it quit a bit and I’ve gotten better with it as I go on.  Disclaimer:  I’ve just finished reading the first book of “50 Shades of Grey” series, so this recipe was generated directly after.

The first thing you need is big set of plump juicy breasts…No, no – not your own.  Chicken Breasts, but what you do in your own kitchen is your business!



Chicken with Roasted Red Peppers

2 lbs – Plump Boneless Chicken Breasts

½ cup – Garlic Bread Crumbs
½ - ¾ cup White Cooking Wine
½ - Cup Chicken Stock
2 Tbsp - Virgin Olive Oil
2 Tbsp - Butter
1 Jar – YES JAR, I’m a working mom!  Roasted Red Peppers
1 cup – Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
Parmesan Cheese
Garlic powder
Sea Salt
Ground Pepper

If there are no measurements stated, it’s to your taste.

Ok…  Now the first thing you want to do is handle your big plump breasts… 
Wash them gently in cool water and pat them dry…. Yes, like that, but leave them slightly damp.

Now go over and get your oven turned on …350 degrees ought to do it. 

Get a large cutting board & place either clear plastic wrap or wax paper down – place the breasts on top & another piece on top of the breasts.

Now, it’s time to beat your meat!  Gently – You’re not Christian Grey!  You don’t want to damage the breasts.  You just want them to be pounded down & tender so they melt in your mouth.  If you don’t have a mallet, I don’t know use a hammer or something. I’m not that creative.  J

Melt the butter over a low heat along with the olive oil until the pan is hot & the olive oil & butter come together.

While that is happening, lightly bread the chicken breasts.  We are NOT doing an egg wash.  The chicken breasts should be slightly damp & able to hold the crumbs.
After breading, place breasts into pan sprinkle a little garlic powder, sea salt & pepper on the breasts – raise heat slightly and heat both sides until crumbs adhere to breasts.  About 5 minutes per side.  When you flip the breasts, season the other side.  My 2 cents – go easy on the sea salt!  Between the butter, chicken stock & wine – it will be plenty salty!

When the breading is one with the breast, add the wine.  Pour yourself a glass while you’re at it.  I did!
Pour generously around the pan & move pan around in a circular motion so all the breasts can be covered with wine.  Flip to the other side & repeat.  Add Chicken stock & repeat same process as wine.  Once this comes to a boil, remove from heat immediately & place to the side.  We do not want the chicken to cook on the stove top!  Take remaining liquid and put at bottom of baking pan to prevent chicken from sticking to pan.  Add chicken to pan.  As shown – don’t get all judgey… I said I’m not foody – so my pans are all aluminum foil covered.  J

Sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese, ½ cup of mozzarella cheese, the roasted peppers & the other ½ cup mozzarella cheese.

Place in the oven & cook for 25-45 minutes.  This depends upon the thickness of the breast; the thicker the breast, the longer the cook time.  Rule of thumb – chicken should never be pink on the inside.  Think Salmonella… 
I usually serve this with pan roasted broccoli & cauliflower in a garlic & butter sauce.  Sorry, no recipe there… I fly by the seat of my pants on that one…

The finished product should look like this…
(I’m a sucky photographer)

I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!

~Jenn Cedeno

7 comments:

  1. Sounds great Jenn. I'm going to have to try it. In the winter. Too hot for me to cook anything in the oven!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks good. I wonder if you could make it in the crock pot? If you did the prep in the pan, I don't see why you couldn't... JMHO :) When I make it I would probably use zucchini instead of the red pepper. Peppers and/or red ones aren't popular here. I like them but I have other more finicky mouths to feed...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious! I need to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice recipe, Jen! You can't go wrong with chicken, garlic and white wine but I think your dish is a little more complex than it needs to be. If you have oven safe pans, stick the pan in the oven. If not, what's wrong with braising your chicken stovetop? (Braising is the process you describe above: searing protein then adding fluid to simmer for a length of time) That way, you'll have a sauce to spoon over the chicken once you're finished!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've decided to revise my last reply, because this isn't my page and I was a bit snarky....

    In any case... Thank you DB for your compliment.

    HOWEVER, as I state in my very first line - I’m not a “foodie” blogger. I don't aspire to be. I don't write crap down, I just cook as I like it. I'm just a mom, with crappy cookware doing the very best I can while working and taking care of a family...

    I hope you all like my recipe :)

    Jenn out...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love you! You crack me up...Jersey style...I've never giggled so much while reading a recipe!! An extra scoop of Christian Grey makes everything taste better!!! LOL

    Chel

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis