Pages

Stay Connected

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Chef Contest-Seared Steelhead Trout with Balsamic Strawberry Salsa (Lily Zhou)


Welcome to the first every CEK's 2012 Home Grown Chef Contest! 

A few months ago, I challenged my readers to submit their favorite recipes and what a great response I had!  It is up to each recipe contributor to engage their friends/family/etc to view their recipe on this blog post and the 5 most popular recipes (determined by the number of page views it receives) will be added to a poll for everyone to vote on.  (For complete rules of the contest click HERE.) Good luck!

Recipe Contributor: 
Lily Zhou from Goleta, CA

Bio:
My name is Lily, I live in Goleta with my husband, my son (3.5 years), and my daughter (18 months).  I am a trained chemist although right now I am a stay at home mom.  Cooking and eating is a hobby for me.  There are not many interesting restaurants in the Goleta area, so most of the time I take advantage of the local farmer's market and cook at home.  I don't have a blog, but I post at least once a month on yelp.


Seared Steelhead Trout with Balsamic Strawberry Salsa and Sauteed Fava Beans  
This recipe utilize the fava beans and fresh strawberries that's widely available in the farmer's market here around April and May.  Serves 6

Ingredients:
6 portions of 6 oz stealhead trout filet
1 pound of shelled fava beans
salt
pepper
butter
olive oil
1 stalk of chopped scallions

Salsa:
1.5 pound of ripe strawberries
2 tablesp 25 year old balsamic vinegar
juice of one orange
zest of half of an orange
chiffonade of 15 basil leaf
chopped 5 sprig of cilantro
1/4 cup of chopped sweet onions 

Directions:
1. Salt and pepper the stealhead trout filet.  Add 1 tablesp of butter and 1 tablesp of olive oil to a hot pan.  Place filet skin side down.  Let the skin crisp up and finish up by placing the pan in a 400 F oven for 8 min.

2. Grilled half of the strawberries to get some carmalization going.  Remove from grill and chop up the strawberries into approximately 0.25 inch chunks.

3. Chop the remaining strawberries into 0.25 inch chunks.  Add the fresh strawberries to the grilled strawberries.  To the mixture, add salt, pepper, juice of one orange, zest of half of an orange, 2 tablesp of good balsamic vinegar, chopped cilantro and basil, and 1/4 cup of chopped sweet onions.  Mix gently and let the flavor marry in the fridge.

4. Parboil fava bean and remove the bean from its waxy shell.  Place 2 tablesp of olive oil in a hot pan.  Sautee fava bean, add salt and chopped scallions.  Remove from heat.

5.  Plate fava bean on the bottom.  Top with the trout filet and generously scope the fresh salsa mixture over the fish.    







2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, I wanted to make something that screams spring. Fava beans are so delicious, but most people don't know how to deal with the shells.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis