Pages

Stay Connected

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread

Do you go shopping at those big box stores like BJ's, Costco or Sams? Well if you do, you know that everything comes in bulk. During my last visit, I decided to buy a bag of zucchini. Yes, a bag, with about 10 zucchini in there. Don't get me wrong, I love it but when you have that much of it at the same time, you get tired of eating it. So I did the next best thing and made some of this zucchini bread. I tried to make it a little healthier by using only half of the oil and substituting yogurt and applesauce to help moisten it, but then the kids came in and demanded that it HAD to have chocolate chips in it. They like to eat  a slice of this for breakfast because it's quick and they can eat it on the go. You can certainly leave out the chocolate altogether or opt for carob chips instead, whatever your preference. 


Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
4 Eggs
1 c. Light Brown Sugar, packed
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
6oz. Chobani Plain Greek Yogurt
6oz. Natural Applesauce
1/2 c. Canola Oil
2c. Zucchini, skins washed and grated
3 1/2 c. All Purpose Flour
1 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1 1/2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 c. Chocolate Chips


In a bowl, cream together the eggs, sugar, vanilla, yogurt, applesauce and oil until well blended. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder. Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture, mix well then add in the zucchini and chocolate chips. Spray two separate loaf pans with cooking spray and distribute the batter into both of them. (It should only come up 1/2-3/4 up the side of the pan). Bake at 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean (not with any batter stuck to it). Let cool and slice. Yields 12 Slices Per Loaf



*Nutritional Information: Calories 176, Carbs 27g, Fat 7g, Protein 3g
*Nutritional Information without Chocolate Chips: Calories 153, Carbs 24g, Fat 6g, Protein 3g


Enjoy!



*Calculations based on ingredients entered into MyFitnessPal and may not be 100% accurate.

16 comments:

  1. LOL...that is why I try not to go to those stores! I am already a "food hoarder" so I get in trouble at Sam's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great, I'd love a piece right now! I think if you've "healthied up" a recipe it's perfectly acceptable to add chocolate chips!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chocolate Chip Zucchini anything is a favorite in our house!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like it's the only way I can get my youngest one to eat it!

      Delete
  4. I'm with Isabella. My family has a Costco membership but we only use it a few times a year for stuff like toiletries. I was never able to finish that 5 gallon jar of mayonnaise before it expired...Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks DB and I can see how 5 gallons of mayo might take a long time to use up! :)

      Delete
  5. super delicious! I hope to have a ton of zucchini in my garden this year. I love baking with it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carrie, this looks wonderful! I bet it would be great with a big cup of green tea :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lauren and it was! I had some with my green tea for a snack one day. :)

      Delete
  7. When I have too many zucchini from the garden....I shred it all up in the food processor. Then measure out how much I need to make my zucchini bread and freeze that amount in separate baggies. It doesn't take up much room in the freezer and I get to have bread all year. Once it thaws, they tell you to drain it before using it but I don't....it makes it sooooo moist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great tip, thank you for sharing! I usually just find ways to make it differently but I'm definitely going to try this next time. :)

      Delete
  8. I love zucchini bread and am so interested in trying this version with the chocolate chips! Sounds really yummy.. :) I am enjoying catching up on the posts I've missed from you, Carrie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll love it, it's so moist! Thanks for stopping by, I know how hard it is to read everyone's posts (I experience that myself!) and I appreciate you taking the time to read and comment. <3

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis