Pages

Stay Connected

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Cinco de Mayo Recipe Ideas

Cinco de Mayo is Spanish for the 5th of May and is the celebration of Mexican heritage and pride here in the US. But in my experience, since I'm not of hispanic decent, it's a time when friends and family gather for great Mexican food and drink. If you'll be celebrating on Saturday with margaritas, here are some favorite recipes that I've posted before and a couple of new ones. I'll apologize now for the older posts as the pictures aren't as good as some of the newer ones but they are great recipes that I hope you'll love as much as we do! (Click the red links to bring you to the original recipe)


Appetizers
Homemade Tortilla Chips (New)
1 Package of Eight 7" Tortillas 
(I used Carb Balance Flour Tortillas with only 120 calories and 13g of fiber per tortilla)
Canola Oil Cooking Spray
Salt, as desired

Place the tortillas on a cutting board. Cut the tortillas into eight wedges by cutting down the middle and across (like a "T"), then do it again. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and lay the wedges on the pan. Spray the top with the cooking spray and sprinkle with salt (if desired). Bake at 400 degrees 5-7 minutes or until they become lightly brown. Makes 64 wedges. 




Soup
Mexican Beer Cheese Soup

Salads
Avocado & Artichoke Pasta Salad


Main Entrees
Chorizo, Chicken and Black Beans with Rice (New)
4oz. Spanish Chorizo, skin removed and diced into bite sized pieces
6oz. Boneless Chicken Breast, diced into bite sized pieces
1 Clove Garlic
1 tsp. Butter
1c. Jasmine Rice
2 Chicken Bouillon Cubes
1 Lime, zest and juice
3 c. Water
1-15oz. Can Black Beans, rinsed
1 tbsp. Fresh Cilantro, chopped

Add the chorizo and garlic in a large non-stick saute pan and heat sausage for approximately 5 minutes. Remove then set aside. Add chicken to the same pan and cook through. Remove and set aside. Add the butter, rice, lime zest and juice to the same pan and allow to lightly brown for about 2 minutes. Then add the bouillon cubes and 1 cup of the water. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Allow liquid to evaporate then add another cup of water. Repeat for the third cup of water. When the liquid from the third cup of water is almost evaporated, add the black beans, cilantro and the cooked chorizo, garlic and chicken. Stir well and garnish with chopped cilantro. Serves 6. 



And you can't forget the drinks! Since I'm not a huge margarita fan, I'll share two of my Sangria recipes with you (I only drink red wine myself but I'll have some new white wine versions coming out this summer!) 

Beverages
Red Apple Sangria

(my favorite go-to recipe)

Enjoy!


4 comments:

  1. Welcome CJ and I'm glad you found me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love making tortilla chips! LOVE your menu!!! Thank you so much for sharing on Thursday's Treasures Week 32! <3 and hugs sweets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These recipes look delicious! We're so glad you joined us for "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." Thanks and come back soon!! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis