Pages

Stay Connected

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Mediterranean Quinoa Salad

Quinoa (pronounced keen-wah) is a gluten free seed originally from the Andean region of South America. It has a mild, slightly nutty flavor and can be used as a substitute for rice or couscous. Quinoa contains eight amino acids and many people eat it to reduce their consumption of meat. It is also a good source of fiber and contains B vitamins and iron. I have only tried making this once before and served it hot as a side dish and the family hated it. I thought it was ok, but not something I'd make again, but I vowed to give it another try this time making a cold salad with it. AND, since I was sent home with 2 bags of it from the food conference I went to recently, this past weekend seemed like as good a time as any. 


Of course, I gave it my own flare with some of the flavors I love to use most and voila! I have a new salad that my family LOVED. It was filling and flavorful and I will definitely be experimenting with it again. 


Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
1 1/2 c. Water
1 c. Organic Quinoa
12 Kalamata Olives, pitted and chopped
1/4 c. Sun Dried Tomatoes, chopped
1 Scallion, chopped
1/4 c. Reduced Fat Feta Cheese Crumbles
1/4 c. Balsamic Vinegar
1/4 c. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Kosher Salt, to taste
Fresh Ground Black Pepper, to taste


Add water to a pot and bring to a boil. Add in the quinoa, cover and reduce heat. Simmer for approximately 15-20 minutes or until water is absorbed then remove from heat and let rest for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and let cool. Add to a bowl along with the olives, tomatoes, scallion, cheese, vinegar and oil. Mix well and refrigerate. Serves 8 (1/2 cup). 



*Nutritional Information: Calories 191.2, Carbs 18.6g, Fat 11.4g, Protein 4.8g, Fiber 1.8g

Enjoy!

*Calculations based on ingredients entered into Sparkpeople and may not be 100% accurate.


Shared on Amee's Savory Dish 5/25/12

8 comments:

  1. I have never tried quinoa before and your recipe sounds like a great dish to give a try with. It sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I only made it once before and it was ok but I made it hot. The family wouldn't even eat it but this time, when I made it cold, they loved it.

      Delete
  2. oh my! I love everything about this! I want to make this RIGHT NOW.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these flavors combined, this looks gorgeous! My hubby and I adore quinoa:-) Beautiful! Hugs, Terra

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis