Pages

Stay Connected

Monday, June 11, 2012

Cherry Chocolate Chunk Granola Bars

On Facebook last week, I had posted a picture of those Feta and Sage Mini Chicken Meatloaves and had people guess what it was. One guess was for some sort of homemade granola bars, which got me thinking. So the next day, I decided to try my hand at making homemade granola bars, since I buy the boxed kind for my kids a couple of times a month anyway. They were REALLY good and the kids LOVED them! 

*Tip: Place the pan in the freezer once it has cooled enough. It makes them cool quicker and also made it easier to cut. I also found that they stayed together better if you store them in the refrigerator. 

Cherry Chocolate Chunk Granola Bars
3 c. Old Fashioned Oats
2 tbsp. Butter (I used salted)
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1/2 c. Dried Cherries, chopped
1/2 c. Nestle's Chocolate Chunks (you can substitute carob or regular chocolate chips or dark chocolate)
1/2 c. Blue Agave Syrup
1/4 c. Honey

Add the butter, vanilla, agave syrup and honey to small saucepan and heat over low heat until butter has melted. In the meantime, combine the oats, cherries and chocolate in a bowl. Pour the butter mixture over the oat mixture and mix well. Line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper and add the oats, spreading evenly in the pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Allow to cool then cut into squares. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator. 

Nutritional Information for 12 Bars: Calories 226,  Fat 5.4g, Fiber 5g, Protein 2.7g

Enjoy! 

5 comments:

  1. These look so yummy Carrie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the cherries in these! Haven't made my own granola bars yet but putting it on my to do list,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks everyone! They were easier than I thought they would be to make. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis