Pages

Stay Connected

Monday, June 25, 2012

Raspberry & Orange Risotto

The day I made those Raspberry & Orange Chicken Breasts, I needed something to go with it. So I called on my Facebook friends to offer up some suggestions and rice/risotto seemed to be the popular favorite. I still had a little bit of Chambord left, so I decided finish up the bottle and use the same flavors in my side dish. I love when you have the same flavors in sides or vegetables that complement your main meal, it just ties everything together in a nice little package. This was so easy to make, was slightly sweet, but not overly so and was perfect with our chicken.


I've also started a small herb garden on my deck, as I can't grow anything in my yard (too many deer, bear, fox, coyote, etc...you name it...gotta love wildlife!). It's not very big but it suits my purpose just fine. This year I'm growing basil, cilantro, rosemary and lemon thyme. I had never seen this herb before and wanted to give it a try. You can really smell the combination of lemon and thyme in this herb and it brings out a nice, soft flavor. I've used it so far in vegetables, chicken and now rice but I bet it would also go well with seafood. 


Raspberry & Orange Risotto
1 tbsp. Butter
1 c. Arborio Rice
1 tbsp. Chambord
1/2 c. Orange Juice
1 c. Water
2 c. Low-Sodium Chicken Broth
1 tsp. Lemon Thyme, removed from stem


In a large, non-stick saute pan, melt the butter and add in the rice. Stir until the rice turns slightly brown, then add the Chambord and orange juice. Allow the liquid to evaporate, then add in the water. Again, allow the liquid to evaporate, then add in the chicken broth 1 cup at a time, allowing the liquid to evaporate after each addition. Add the lemon thyme, salt and pepper and mix well. Serves 6. 


Lemon Thyme in my mini herb garden. 




Enjoy! 

8 comments:

  1. I need to try a sweet risotto, it sounds delicious! I love your mini herb garden, it sounds like a fun idea for sure:-) Beautiful, Hugs, Terra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terra! I wish I could have a larger garden but all of the wild animals around here would eat them! :)

      Delete
  2. I had rosemary, basil and oregano in my herb garden but they all died in the cold weather over the winter, so I need to update it. Your's looks nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it's small but serves the purpose. :)

      Delete
  3. Love your creativity Carrie! This sounds wonderful! I LOVE risotto :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such an original recipe - I've never seen anything like this, yet all these flavors sound as if they were made for each other. Brilliant!
    I am browsing your site, and like it more and more with every post!
    I would like to invite you to check out a new recipe sharing website, RecipeNewZ.com (with Z). You submit a photo of your dish, it's published within minutes and links back to your blog - really simple. Try it! We already have hundreds of bloggers on board, and it would be a pleasure to see your recipes too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I'll have to go take a look. :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis