When I was in my early 20's, fried zucchini (and mushrooms) were my favorite appetizer to order when I was able to dine out. And when I did, it wasn't at a five or even 3 star restaurant. Who could afford that right out of college when you're living on your own? I know, not the healthiest of choices, but for the longest time I just steered clear of them at all. Fried Food=BAD! Do you remember the newer version of Freaky Friday with Jaime Lee Curtis and Lindsey Lohan where they switched places and Jaime Lee Curtis (the Mom) was now the daughter and devoured a sack of french fries because she could? THAT is how I felt after eating these baked zucchini wedges! They were even better than I remembered and by using the panko breadcrumbs and cooking spray, they were really crispy too. The best part...my daughter, who isn't a huge fan of zucchini, LOVED these, especially when she dipped them into some marinara sauce.Baked Zucchini Wedges
1/2 c. All-Purpose Flour (you can substitute)
Egg Wash (2 eggs + 1/4 c. 2% Milk)
1 c. Panko Breadcrumbs
2 tbsp. Pecorino Romano Cheese
1 tsp. Dried Oregano
1 tbsp. Fresh Basil, chopped
1 tsp. Garlic Powder
Prepared Marinara Sauce
1. Rinse zucchini under cold water and cut off the ends.
2. Cut the zucchini in half, then cut that half into four wedges. You should get 8 wedges per zucchini (16 total)
3. Prepare 3 bowls. One for flour. One for eggwash. The last one combine the panko, oregano, basil, and garlic powder.
4. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper and preheat oven to 425 degrees.
5. Dip each zucchini wedge first into the flour, then into the egg wash and then into the breadcrumb mixture. Place breaded zucchini onto the baking sheet and repeat for all.
6. Spray the tops of the zucchini with cooking spray and bake for 20-25 minutes until they get slightly browned.
7. Serve alone or with Marinara Sauce. Serves 4.
*For best results eat immediately. If you need to reheat, place them on a baking sheet and reheat in the oven as microwaving them will make them soggy.
*Nutritional Information per wedge: Calories 40, Carbs 5.9g, Fat 0.9g, Protein 1.9g
*Calculations based on ingredients entered into Calorie Count and may not be 100% accurate.