Pages

Stay Connected

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Flank Steak Stuffed with Brie & Zucchini (Family Favorites) and How to Cook the Perfect Steak This Father's Day


Ah yes...Beef is more than likely going to be "What's for Dinner" this coming Father's Day. According to the most recent Consumer Grilling Study, three out of four Americans say that the one meat they grill the most often is beef (69%); while chicken came in second (25%) and pork came in third (6%). I would tend to agree as it seems like we eat beef more often in the warmer, grilling months ourselves.

I don't know about you, but I'm a visual person. Show me and I can do it or figure it out. Tell me and you lost me. So I found this chart below to determine how long to cook your steaks as a guide, but try not to poke too many holes in the meat while cooking as the juices will flow out and cause your steak to dry out.  Cooking times do vary according to the cut of meat as well so for a more specific list, including the different cuts of beef and minutes to cook per side, click on the link to see this really helpful chart from Beef It's What's For Dinner.
As far as Father's Day plans, I'm not quite sure what we're going to do yet. Saturday is my rescheduled Book Signing from 1pm-3pm; then we're heading to a combined graduation party for my nephew(high school) and niece(college) where I'm bringing that Grilled Chicken Pasta Salad with Kalamata Olives, Capers and Sun Dried Tomatoes, and with the hubby traveling so much lately between his father's surgery, vacation and business trips, I think he'd prefer just hanging home for the day to recoup.

I'm thinking that I may make this family's favorites recipe for Flank Steak Stuffed with Brie & Zucchini from my cookbook. I can't believe I haven't made this recipe since I originally created it in August 2011 and it was one of our favorites...always on the quest to find new and exciting new recipes I guess! For this dish, I sauteed some zucchini with fresh rosemary, garlic and mushrooms. Then I added some slices of Brie, wrapped it up, sliced it individually and grilled it. I have to say it was AMAZING; however, you have to grill these on a higher temperature so that all of the cheese doesn't run out before the meat is done cooking.


Flank Steak Stuffed with Brie & Zucchini
Prep Time:  30 minutes                               Yield: 6
Cook Time:  Personal Preference                 Serving: 1 piece

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 lb. Flank Steak
  • 1 1/2 c. Zucchini, cut in half then sliced
  • 1 c. Mushrooms, sliced
  • 2 Cloves Garlic, chopped
  • 1 tbsp. Fresh Rosemary
  • 1 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 4oz. Brie, white rind removed and sliced
  • Kitchen String
Directions
  1. Using a meat tenderizer, pound flank steak until it is rectangular in shape and even thickness. 
  2. In a pan, heat oil and sauté the zucchini, mushrooms, garlic and rosemary until the vegetables get soft.  
  3. Evenly spread the zucchini mixture on top of the steak, leaving a 1/2" border around all sides; then add the cheese. 
  4. Roll up the flank steak lengthwise and tie with six pieces of kitchen string; spacing them out evenly to where you will slice them. 
  5. Using a sharp knife, cut the rolled steak into six individual pieces. Season with salt and pepper just prior to grilling. 
  6.  and grill until desired doneness.  

Nutrition Facts
Calories 260, Carbs 1.8g, Fat 13g, Protein 32g, Fiber .5g, Sugar .7g

*Calculations based on ingredients entered into Calorie Count and may not be 100% accurate. 

Looking or other Beef Grilling Ideas? How about some of these reader favorites!





Enjoy and Have a Happy Father's Day! 

2 comments:

  1. Carrie,
    That steak looks yummy!
    My spouse won't be home for Father's Day, and while deployed he's being a vegetarian, so steak is probably out for him. I'd eat it, however!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kirsten and I can see why he'd want to be a vegetarian while away on duty. I'm sure you all missed him terribly yesterday.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis