Pages

Stay Connected

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Low-Fat Vegetable Lasagna

Yes. I am half Italian; however, I was never a big fan of ricotta cheese, which is why I don't make lasagna, baked ziti or ravioli all that often. But a while back, I made Low Fat Black Bean and Sun Dried Tomato Lasagna using cottage cheese and I LOVED it! So it prompted me to find other ways to make this recipe as well. 

I was about to leave for vacation and I had some zucchini and cottage cheese I needed to use up before I left so I whipped up a batch of this Low Fat Vegetable Lasagna. It was incredible and I really liked how it wasn't "mushy" with cheese in between the layers like a regular lasagna usually is. I happened to use the regular lasagna sheets that had to be boiled, simply because the store I was in at the time didn't happen to have the no-boil sheets which I prefer using. If you can find them, it would shave off some cooking time. Just layer the sheets like you normally would without cooking the noodles first. 

Low-Fat Vegetable Lasagna
Prep Time:  20 minutes                        Yield: 12
Cook Time:  45 minutes                        Serving: 1 piece
Total Time:  65 minutes


Ingredients

  • 1 box Barilla Lasagna Sheets
  • 1lb. 2% Cottage Cheese
  • 2 c. Reduced Fat Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
  • 1 Egg
  • 2 tbsp. Fresh Parsley
  • 2 c. Zucchini, shredded
  • 2 c. Frozen Chopped Spinach, defrosted and drained
  • 1 c. Carrots, shredded
  • 2-28 oz. Cans Crushed Tomatoes with Basil
Directions
  1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add some salt and cook the lasagna sheets until they are al dente. Drain the water. 
  2. In a large bowl, combine the cottage cheese, 1 c. mozzarella cheese, egg, 1 tbsp. parsley, zucchini, spinach, carrots and 1 can of the crushed tomatoes. Mix well. 
  3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
  4. Using a 9"x13" oven safe dish, ladle a thin layer of the crushed tomatoes on the bottom, place 5 lasagna sheets on top of the sauce; then spread the vegetable mixture on top of the noodles. Continue layering four times until the top layer contains only the lasagna sheets. 
  5. Add a layer of the crushed tomatoes; then sprinkle with the remaining 1 c. of mozzarella cheese and 1 tbsp. parsley. 
  6. Bake for 45 minutes; then remove from oven and allow to cool 10 minutes; then cut into 12 pieces.  
Nutrition Facts
Calories 302, Carbs 46.5g, Fat 5.1g, Protein 19.5g, Fiber 6.2 g, Sugar 6.6g

*Calculations based on ingredients entered into Calorie Count and may not be 100% accurate. 

Enjoy! 

3 comments:

  1. Carrie,
    Looks delicious to me! I'm a fan of both ricotta and cottage cheeses, but I especially like how you scanned the fridge for what you could use up before vacation.
    Necessity, mother, invention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds very tasty. Could you use fresh spinach?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Shelly, I just didn't happen to have any on hand. Instead of mixing it in with the other vegetables, place it in between the layers.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis