It's amazing how just pureeing something can give it an entirely new flavor. Everything blended nicely together and this recipe turned into a heart healthy, creamy soup I could put in a cup and drink instead; which is a HUGE time saver when I'm trying to do other things at the same time!
Vegetarian Roasted Tomato, Spinach
and Chick Pea Soup
Prep Time: 15 minutes Yield: 5
Cook Time: 20 minutes Serving: 1 c.
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 Beefsteak or Heirloom Tomato, chopped
- 2 tsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 c. Red Onion, chopped
- 1 Garlic Clove, chopped
- 1 tbsp. Fresh Basil, chopped
- 1-150z. Can Chick Peas, rinsed and drained
- 2 c. Fresh Baby Spinach, rinsed, stems removed
- 2 c. Fat Free Vegetable Broth
- 1 c. Water
- Kosher Salt, to taste
- Fresh Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Season tomatoes with salt and pepper and place on a baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes until they start to soften.
- Heat the oil in a nonstick saute pan over medium heat; then add the onion and garlic. Saute 2-3 minutes until the onion starts to turn translucent.
- Add in the basil, spinach, chick peas and cooked tomatoes and saute for another 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the broth and water, bring to a boil; then reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- If you like a "brothy" soup, leave whole. If you prefer it blended (like I did), use your immersion blender to blend all of the ingredients together until smooth; approximately 1-2 minutes.
Calories 94, Carbs 14.3g, Fat 2.4g, Protein 4g, Fiber 2.9g, Sugar 1.8g