Pages

Stay Connected

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Crock Pot Greek Mashed Potatoes


Today I'm going to be sharing a new experiment with you for Crock Pot Greek Mashed Potatoes. This is one of those recipes that started out one way in my head; then wound up another. Not a bad thing mind you, just different.



I originally thought that the potatoes would stay in whole form, but I guess I cut them a little too small for that. I'm a little new at slow cooking so bear with me while we learn together. As you can see by the picture below, the potatoes are all chopped nice and uniform, but after 2 1/2 hours in the slow cooker they turned to mush. So that's when I decided to make this side dish mashed potatoes instead.

I really enjoyed this version of potatoes, but the family not so much. Though I have to say, they're not huge fans of Feta cheese. You could probably leave it out as the lemon and oregano give the potatoes a nice flavor all on their own. If you like your mashed potatoes a little more on the creamy side, I would also suggest adding more half & half (or milk/cream) and some butter, but I preferred these as is. ~Enjoy!


Crock Pot Greek Mashed Potatoes
Prep Time: 15 minutes    Cook Time: 2 1/2-6 hours   Serves: 10 ( 1/2 cup servings)
Ingredients
  • 6 Medium Red Potatoes
  • 1/2 c. Scallions, chopped
  • 2 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 1 tbsp. Fresh Oregano, chopped
  • 2 tbsp. Fresh Lemon Juice
  • 2 oz. Crumbled Feta Cheese
  • 1/2 c. Fat Free Half and Half
Directions
  1. Wash the skins of the potatoes well; then quarter each potato and slice in 1/2" thick slices. Place in the crock pot. 
  2. Add the scallions, oil, oregano and lemon juice to the potatoes and mix well. 
  3. Turn the heat on your slow cooker on high and cover with the lid. Allow the potatoes to cook for 2 1/2 hours until soft. (If you're going to be away, place your slow cooker on warm for 6 hours or low for 4 hours). 
  4. Remove the lid carefully; then add the Feta cheese and half and half. Mix well with a spoon until creamy.
Nutrition Facts per Serving
Calories 141, Carbs 22.4g, Fat 4g, Protein 3.9g, Fiber 2.1g, Sugar 2.4g
*Calculations based on ingredients entered into Calorie Count and may not be 100% accurate.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis